Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lets share our way of transporting our hobie island to give new owners some ideas. I'll start with mine. Heres a cheap way using a harbor freight trailer. I will replace the trailer once i found one aluminum that will allow to add second level. Anything you don't see goes to my SUV like yhe crossbar and mirage drive. I added a second level so I can have a place for my outboard and hakas.Will change my hakas to aluminum ramp shown in one of below links. still thinkering how to improve it and add cushion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm currently figuring out my trailering solution for my new to me '16 TI. Considering retrofitting pvc bunks on my existing utility trailer or buying a second boat/kayak trailer specific for the TI.

About how much TI stern overhang off the bunk is safe to not damage the TI?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For another but similar carrying system I put the PVC pipes on an old aluminum ladder. You could do this then just bolt the ladder to another trailer when needed. Also makes a nice support system for storing the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We don't approve the PVC pipes - it just doesn't give the proper support - and will distort the hull over time - it presses up on the scuppers and will misshape the hull, and if using ratchet straps can really do some damage, always use cinch straps only.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have been using a 6 ft x 12 ft all aluminum enclosed cargo trailer to haul our two 12 ft Pro Anglers for 4 years now. We secured a wood double deck rack and slide the Pro Anglers into the rack on 3 inch PVC.

We added a tandem island to the navy and needed a way to haul all three boats. Adding aluminum roof racks and building a deck across them is a secure place for the TI. The trick was getting it up there. The first option was one that fusioneng posted about: lift the bow of the bare hull and place it angled sideways onto the roof rack; secure the bow with a rope fixed a pulley on the front of the trailer's roof; slide the boat up onto the rack by pulling on the bow line and lifting the stern. The remaining pieces can be fitted together on the roof or stored inside the trailer (other than the mast--too long for the trailer).

We recently added a winch and an adjustable ladder to allow winching the fully assembled TI onto/off the roof. Here is a short video and picts of winching our TI up onto the cargo trailer roof rack:

Pict of cargo trailer roof--plywood deck covered with coreoplast under the amas, steel tv antenna pipe covered with PVC:

Pict of winch on front of pipe--winch is loaded with 50+ feet of spectra cord:

Pict of pulley we route a bow line through, when manually lifting the kayak w/o the electric winch:

Pict of rear roller with ladder tied in:

Pict of adding coreoplat to ladder (velcro holds in place):

Pict of ladder ready to raise/lower the TI:

Pict of TI with rear cart attached, beginning the lift:

Pict of TI fully up onto the roof rack:

Pict of TI roof rack tie down:

Pict of Trailer inside:

Pict of Trailer rear:

Pict ready to roll:

Last edited by itiming on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://youtu.be/hYSkqjqD3dE

here is my latest update on my trailer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes the PVC pipe will damage the hull above the scuppers IF you don't flatten or cut holes in those locations. I cut out the area, which also makes for a great verification that the hull is properly located on the supports. It almost clicks into place, to unload I just lift the boat a little and push back.
Much happier with the PVC than the Hobie supports, actually the Hobie cradle did deform the hull over time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For my TI... I bought a wave runner trailer and extended the neck
I installed 2” x 10” wood planks along the frame. I then installed the TI
cradles but added 2 - 6 foot sections 1.5” PVC pipe in between cradles
and covered them and rest of wood w 4’x6’ indoor/outdoor entry carpets
fr Costco.... boat slides nicely on wet carpets
I bungee the back carry handles and front bow to a post.

I back up on boat ramp till lights touch water
Sliding on off pretty easy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:
We don't approve the PVC pipes - it just doesn't give the proper support - and will distort the hull over time - it presses up on the scuppers and will misshape the hull, and if using ratchet straps can really do some damage, always use cinch straps only.

Have to speak up here..... Your negative comment about the PVC "bunks" is only relevant if no modification is made to accommodate the drain fittings which slightly protrude into the area where they would interfere with the PVC pipes.

That is like condemning a pair of shoes because you left a pebble inside.

My point is emphasised if you look at how well the PVC bunks work with Islands made before the protruding drain fittings were incorporated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I removed the so called "venturi" drain hardware from my 2015 TI as I was picking it up from the dealer, then slid it onto my pvc bunk equipped trailer where it has sat ever since when not in the water. I haven't noticed any hull distortion and it's hard to imagine anything supporting the hull better than the pvc.
Chris