Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A friend of mine has an older Hobie Pro Angler 14. He made a tackle/cooler similar to this. I liked his idea and decided to build one for myself.

When I looked for a similar cooler at Walmart I was unable to find on at my local store. What I did find was a cooler that had a handle and wheels for transporting it instead of the handle version he utilized in his setup. I like the handle and wheel setup as it makes it easy for transporting the tackle/cooler to the kayak during launching operations if necessary.

What i did was mount five rod holders PVC with flared top ends on the back side of the cooler. I flared the ends of the PVC with an old beer bottle and heated the PVC with my electric heat gun while twisting the beer bottle. I held the bottle in place once I achieved the correct flare and the PVC cooled enough to retain the shape. Three of the rod holders face directly backwards with the vertical slots that catch the reel handle. On the two outer rod holders on each end the slots are pointed toward the handle/wheel ends of the cooler respectively. The lid opens from side to side and not front to back so there is no interference when opening the lid for refreshments or tackle. As an option, I also put my battery that powers my fish finder inside the tackle/cooler. This could be installed elsewhere if desired. I drilled an access hole for the GPS power wires and installed the appropriate plugs on each end. On the outside of the cooler I installed a quick disconnect plug so that the tackle/cooler can easily be removed from the kayak when not needed.

I also mounted 2 other pieces of PVC on the right front corner of the tackle cooler. One for the anchor and the other for my current anchor rope that is attached to my anchor trolley system.

I am in the process of working on a new design for mounting an Anchor Wizard to the Hobie H Rail via my Rigid Rail Mounting System. This will be discussed in detail in a later post.

All of the pieces of PVC are mounted with Stainless Steel Hardware and Esna self locking nuts inside. All of the bolt ends have been polished so there are no rough edges to get scratched on when accessing the inside of the tackle/cooler. Not shown in the pictures are three bungee cords that actually secure the tackle/cooler to my 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14. I installed three eye hooks through the cooler similar to the rod holder installation.

Thanks again to my friend that shared his design. :)

John

Variable Speed Electra Drive System Designed by: Phil Krug.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=62295&p=298578#p298578

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That looks like a nice job. I always mess up the ends when I go to flare them. They never look that good.