Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Last motor mount was made from wood, just updated it to aluminum, tested good. The Aluminum was from trail X trailer company, it has slide tracks on it. I use a Suzuki 2.5 with this mount. Max speed so far while motor sailing with current and winds is about 9mph. Average speed is about 6.5 to 7mph, Best speed on gas is about 6.5mph.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice. Looks just like Key West Kayak Fishing’s mount. In the process myself. How do you feel about any torque transfer to the rod holders? Minimal?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
Nice. Looks just like Key West Kayak Fishing’s mount. In the process myself. How do you feel about any torque transfer to the rod holders? Minimal?

Hi, Pescatoral Pursuit

I got the idea from two videos about 2 years ago, and yes one of them was Key West fishing. Here are the videos I got the ideas from.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTW40ugkPZ4

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZEqCVuk_M&t=8s

With both ideas i made some minor changes to work best for my boat. The torque transfer to the rod holders are at a very minimal, The torque is distributed to both the pvc rod holder, and the back aka brace bar, every contact point to the AI is backed up with thick rubber to minimize vibration.

I have pulled a TI, other AI's and kayaks with no problems. The wood version worked just fine, but the aluminum looks more clean and i think it's little bit lighter.

The Suzuki 2.5 DF2 short shaft is perfect for this design. With the previous wood version I had to cut the wood mount lower to minimize cavitation. The aluminum fits very nice and i do not have any cavitation with this design.