Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bags for 8" Round Hatch?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought a used 2016 TI, and I'm in love. However, I'd like to make better use of the storage space in the hatches. The previous owner threw in a deep gear bucket, which is ok but doesn't fit taller/larger items like a large water bottle. I see that Hobie makes a bag to go in the 6" round hatch, but does anyone make a bag to go in an 8" round hatch?

If not, any jury-rigging suggestions that are appropriate for a man who can competently sew a button but not much more than that? :)

Apologies if this is a duplicate question, but I can't find a recent answer to the question anywhere. There are lots of 8" hatches with bags on Amazon, but I don't want to replace the Hobie hatch with an inferior new one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not a big fan of the gear buckets and I have one that I kept in the rear hatch with spare parts that split apart down the sides. I may cut the bottom and part of the sides off and maybe glue some kind of bag inside of what remains.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simply buy those big wide plastic floppy "buckets" for eacxh hatch, and cut the walls down so the bucket will just fit inside the hull and almost reach the "ceiling". To insert, ,simply roll it up and unroll it once inside the hull.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony mentioned this idea before and I liked it enough to buy a couple. They are called Tub Trugs here and my local farm store carries a knock off version. Unfortunately the smallest one I bought was too big to roll up and put in an 8" hatch but I have been using it inside the front hatch to corral stuff with great success. It also gave me some good feedback that my front hatch sealing mods are working. I guess when the bow starts dipping I'll know I have a bucket full of water up there. One of the large buckets I keep in my car split vertically in several places after being in the hot car for a year but the one in the boat is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I reckon you could roll one up and temporarily tie it up, and then "post it" from the front hatch. I have inserted at least six pool noodles into the hull sides through the front hatch (you can manouvre them via the other small hatches ubntil they are sitting snugly up near the gunwhales and "almost" invisible).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll give that a try Tony. Need to buy some appropriately sized buckets, the one I bought was way too big.
My hull is full of noodles too.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Tony and Buckaroo. I had no idea what in the world Tony was talking about with "big floppy buckets", but Buckaroo filled in the gaps :) I'll have a look at those.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For anyone else who comes across this thread looking for the same thing, the Tubtrugs Shallow size is perfect for the two hatches right in front of the seats on the Tandem. I didn't check what fits the hatch at the rear. Here's a link to what I bought: https://smile.amazon.com/Tubtrugs-SP15B ... allow+blue

Here are two pics of it. The first one is just sitting on the tail of the outrigger for scale. It is extremely snug under the hatch, so it's not going anywhere, but it's very wide (though not so wide that I couldn't reach my hand around and fish out something small in the corner). I put the old Hobie Gear Bucket inside just for scale.

Thanks again to those who helped me arrive are this! It's perfect! I might even chuck the deep gear bucket and get another one of these instead.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Following your lead I ordered a couple of red ones to match my hull and will probably trim the tops off as Tony did. Now I just need a big round piece of cork to float on the inside of it to keep stuff dry from the water entering the hatch :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think Tony ordered a different size. The "shallow" size is 6" tall on the sides (if you look in the Q&A section of that Amazon link, you'll see I asked about it), and it fits perfectly snug as-is. Just roll it up and shove it in there; no cutting required. Easy peasy!

I hear you on the leaks... same here... Of course, maybe it would stay drier if I didn't hear "small craft advisory" on the weather report and always think "oooh, perfect sailing weather!" :lol:

Last edited by pbarranis on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used plastic garden mesh. Corners cut to form a box,which are then zipped together once inside the hull. Dont like closed tubs as i like to see inside insidethe hull to spot any leaks filling it up. Alternatively pack the hull full of foam to form "bulkheads" just before the hatch and just after. This forms a compartment below the hatch, to stop stuff sliding out of reach. Then just store it in the bottom of the hull. Heaps more room.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my TI, I leave "my" hatch empty, so I can easily see if there is too much water in the bilge.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Home Depot to the rescue. My wife has the powder blue Passport. At HD I found a light blue plastic bucket for $3.97. I measured 6.5 inches up from the bottom(the depth of the freeboard is 6", I wanted a little extra height to go around the lip of the hole) in about 10 places around the circumference and made a mark with a Sharpie marker. Then I put a rubber band around the bucket over all the marks to make a nice even line, I followed the rubber band with a the Sharpie to mark it. After cutting, (ezpz with large scissors) the whole thing got a little flimsy and I was able to push it down into the hole, then flare the top edge out around the rim of the hatch frame....as it turned out the cut bucket at that point was 9 inches across, perfect for hole! It fits perfectly and won't move.
The downside is if I ever need to remove it, I will have to be cut it apart but I really don't ever see a need to do that. It's a great fix for less than $5.00.

dvg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater