Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

White line fever when at the local Hobie retailer and bought myself a Lowrance Hook2 fish finder.
My question is what do you do to protect the connector when the fish finder is not in use, and not on the boat.
Either for storage outside (under a tarp) or when you don't want to take the fish finder out on the boat.... Some purchases need some time before the big reveal.

I thought that Lowrance might provide a blank or something to protect the end of the connector, but nothing was in the box..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fatboydave wrote:
White line fever when at the local Hobie retailer and bought myself a Lowrance Hook2 fish finder.
My question is what do you do to protect the connector when the fish finder is not in use, and not on the boat.
Either for storage outside (under a tarp) or when you don't want to take the fish finder out on the boat.... Some purchases need some time before the big reveal.

I thought that Lowrance might provide a blank or something to protect the end of the connector, but nothing was in the box..

I simply visited my hardware warehouse store and went looking for rubber chair leg "boots". I soon found ones which were a snug fit on the sockets of the fishfinder, yet only cost pennies. Any little unused sockets were taped over permanently.

Still going strong after eight years....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, Tony has the right suggestion. Here in the US, they are sold at Home Depot, and of course at your local quality hardware store, and they are sometimes called "Chair Tips." The vinyl ones are preferred, as the rubber ones will quickly breakdown in the sun.

As for those unnecessary extra wires, I cut them off and paint over the cut end with "liquid electrical tape." It's a solvent-rich vinyl substance that dries down and seems to be the same thing as Plasti-Dip, that thick liquid that is used to make a thick plastic coating on the handles of tools.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also add enough di-electric grease to the cup/cover of the connector so no water or moisture gets in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used shrink wrap tubing & carefully applied heat with a heat gun until shrink wrap was closed on one end & just snug on the connector end of the wires to the battery & transducer. They go on & off with ease.