Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Semi-Commercial Haka
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Came across this thread as I was looking for a ready-made haka board solution.

Hard to believe no vendors have stepped up and produced a commercial version at this point. I really don't want to spend the time to home-brew a set of haka boards, I just don't have hours to spend on such a project. Would very much like to see a quality pre-made set available, preferably from Hobie.

If anyone has a quality set they would like to sell please reach out to me at [email protected]. I'm located near Atlantic City, NJ.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Whoa, I'd basically forgotten about this.

We are swamped right now with Tanks, so I don't have laser time, and I haven't heard from the 4 I sent to Cali or wherever. I think the 1/8th was a little too fragile (I think I got an email about one of them bending?) Maybe those guys can chime in here. I meant to follow up and send out some thicker ones as replacements if they weren't happy.

But my 3/16th one is holding up tremendously, even with my fat ass hiking out on it.

Im happy to share the drawings if you want to send it to a local fabricator type and get it done yourself.

But honestly if you're looking for "plug and play" and as little effort as possible? I'd go with those spine boards and some cam straps to hold them on. Or a cheap surfboard, same concept.

The aluminum ones are pretty easy though, especially if you use the "quick fists" like I did. I'd put it on par with anything made from off the shelf components, and I even find it more convenient than the trampolines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be interested in the drawings. I have a set of spineboards that work great, but just a little heavy. Do you know how much the 3/16th version weigh each? My boards, with stiffening tubes, are 12.5kg each. The boat def feels it. I'd love to be at 7 or 8 kg.

I think the best way to fix them to the boat is via nylon eyestraps tapped into the akas. Easy to do, and solid (I used #8-32 stainless bolts and a #29 bit for the tap. Then just use bungee balls. Strong, flexible and kind to the boat, plus fast to rig and easy & cheap to replace. Mount about halfway out. Too far is less safe and comfortable, too close you can't paddle and don't get the advantage of the leverage to sail faster.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice looking manufactured hakas.

Here are my home builds. Yutrax aluminum ramps (17 lbs for both) with a sheet of 1/2 inch azek cut to fit and riveted to them. Have temporary cheap door mats glued on, but plan to replace w/ sea decking of some type. I just use tie down straps to cinch them to the aka's. Have not weighed them fully assembled, but guessing in the 15 lbs each range.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

@bluelaser2

PM me your email and I'll send you the dwgs. With the quick-fists they come out to just below 18 lbs each out of the 3/16" material. So about 8 kg each.

Also, if you haven't tried the quick-fists, they're FAR better than the bungies or cam straps. Significantly quicker and easier, and no parts to lose.

@s9utct I like those. If I didn't work in a shop with a laser and welders and so on, and a couple million pounds of aluminum sheet metal, that is the direction I'd go for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you still building these? What is the current version? Thx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have changed jobs so no longer have access to the tools to build these

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As I mentioned above. I changed jobs recently to a different industry, and no long have any access to a large laser, press brakes, or welders.

We've also sold our kayaks since then, so this project is fairly dead from my end. I'm happy to provide support as needed though, and in the interest of Open Source, here is a Google drive link with the DWGs and information you need to build these yourself.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... l01Vt3i-MU

Please update this thread with companies you have used to have these fabricated and everything, so that people can read this thread and have them made themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

place holder