Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slack in Rudder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, the last time I went sailing I was experiencing a wobbly rudder. I suspect it could be the rudder lines that have stretched. I'm gusseing that you would want to try to adjust the lines with the rudder down and in operating position but I'm reluctant to do it without hearing from someone who has experience doing this and if there are any pitfalls that I should be aware of. It's going to be a very hot weekend and I don't want to mess my boat up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Post subject: Re: Slack in Rudder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Rudder adjustments are pretty simple. Yes, rudder down. Hold the steering handle in the middle (mid-left / right swing is not straight forward). Make adjustments to tighten the lines and keep the rudder centered (same as the handle).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt, thank you for the reply. This will be our second day in attemtping to solve our rudder problem. The first time we got things a little too tight and the rudder was overly sensative and did not go all the way over on one side. Hopefully we'll have better luck today. Our lake is only 10 minutes away door to door and it's very warm so we won't mind a second swing of the bat. BTW I noticed that you work for Hobie. Can you tell me what your supply of MD180 Spine Assemblies looks like. Our two Hobie dealerships are being very slow to let us know how quickly we might be able to get one. We really miss being able to use our pedal drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

For the non-kickup MD 180?

81527002 SPINE ASSY V2 MD180

In stock no back orders.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Matt,

Sorry about resurrecting a solved topic, but could you let me know if there is a document showing the layout of the rudder lines and instructions on adjustment?

I took my new Tandem Island out on her maiden voyage this past Saturday, and had some pretty immediate issues with difficult steering to one side (rudder verified to be completely locked in down position), and then the screws securing the rudder lines loosened allowing the line to slip...which eventually let to my twisting the rudder handle off and losing the riser in the lake (luckily the actual handle was saved with the screw).

After much fiddling, I have it steering mostly alright, but it still seems quite stiff for that style of rudder, so want to verify everything below deck is proper. I'll probably re-string the entire system to be safe.

Thanks for any help you can provide to this old salt but new Hobie owner!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you could inspect the rudder for free play for the gudgeon wbeing too worn. If so take the pin and rudder out inspect the gudgeon. mine was badly worn I ordered a new one. It was worn on the upper part when the rudder sit on the gudgeon and badly at the lower hole by the pin.