Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking to buy a getaway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for advices on these forums! I have actually contacted some of you directly to know if you know of getaway for sale. Found two from the forum users!! Thank you! I would have preferred less used - but in this market you can’t be picky:

1. 2001 used by a “normal” user. Second owner.

2. 2015 Rental - used 300+ days/year in salt water

Both have wings, both have sails and tramps in good shape. Prices approx the same.

Is it better a 5 years old boat used 1500 times or a 20 years old boat used 300 times?

The rental has also been dragged in sand. They sent me pics that show clear signs of sand, but is it try that the bottom part of the getaway is 1+ inch of solid plastic? I assume so as the water plugs are higher (otherwise water would go in it). If so sand will never get through it

Should I be concerned with a rental that it has had a lot of usage and tension in salt water? Should I be concerned of UV rays on a older boat as I do not know how the first owner stored it?

Both boats are a very long drive (in different directions) so I kinda would need to make a decision ahead before investing in a long drive.

Anything specific I should ask a picture of?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rental will need new sails and tramps and probably shrouds. Have photos taken of the skegs and the joints where the beams enter the floats to look for cracks. Photo of rudders and comp tip.

The private owner may not need new sails right away but you should change out the shrouds. Have photo taken of the trampolines. Photo of comp tip and skegs and rudders.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tramps and sails are in ok conditions. Both boats are in mid life point. Rental offered me to put new ones for $2000 - If I want to - but not necessary.

If I see I truly like the boat and use it a lot I plan to order a new one and sell whatever I buy now.

I will replace shrouds anyhow... no matter what seller tells me nor how they look... too important for safety and are relatevly cheap.

my main concern is safety... I read in the forum that at times mast has broken... I want to minimize chance of that happening when I have kids on the boat - and have had personal experience in the past with my bravo rudder ripped out due to capsizing in 4-5 feet wave on a sand bar.

I want a boat that has a low chance of braking. My plan is leasure sailing with kids/teenagers.

what am I look for in the photos of comp tip and skegs and rudders?

I have the photoes for the private owner and can ask to the rental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rental company is selling a 6 year old boat that they have written off for 5 years. While they "say" the tramps and sails are in OK shape, I don't believe them since Fl sun is deadly to dacron. 2K is an OK price for new tramps and sails.

Photos of skegs to look for warping (straight and no dents, gouges or deep cuts). If skegs are messed up, the float is worthless. Photos of comp tip to look for cracking--most common issue with hobie masts is messed up comp tip and boat is worthless with messed up mast. Photos of rudders to look to see that they remain straight.

If you are only buying this boat to play with but plan on getting a new one, just wait and get a new one.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like I'm going to have to sell my 2019 Getaway. I have to move. Used way too little. All is good. Since new Getaways will go for $15K. I'm looking for $12K, onthe advice of the dealership in Austin, TX where I purchased it. Currently at my local marina with mast up and snorkel on. Working on getting it home and cleaned up.

I am north of Corpus Christ, TX.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, my first post. Selling a 2002 Getaway 2002, second owner. I got it last summer. Sails, masts, rudders always stored indoors (heat, no air). Has some hull repair from previous owner from freeze damage to starboard hull. I just bought complete set of running rigging. Selling because I purchased a Tandem Island this spring. Located in SW Michigan. $2500 obo. No trailer. Must take whole cat. I don't know how to post photos yet. 912-704-7039

Max
Sturgis MI 49091