Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think in our case it has more to do with local geography and currents in our situation than anything else.
The only passes in the area, (sarasota) going out to sea must move about 25-30 miles of intercoastal water ever since midnight pass closed in a hurricane, (like 30 yrs ago).
This make the currents very strong, (like 5-6mph) in and out of the passes. For example when the tide is going out, (half the time) we can’t sail or PEDDLE fast enough to get back in from offshore with a stock TI, (one reason I added outboards, and extra sails). It’s especially difficult when the winds are blowing offshore, (which is quite a bit of the time).
The problem is compounded by the constant breakers just offshore that are caused by a shallow shoal just off shore, and the build up of waves from a thousand miles away, (across the whole gulf). Even on very light days, (winds under 5mph), there are 2-3ft breakers just offshore that we have to pass thru, (lol all the EC guys know all about the breakers).
So in other words if the tide is coming in we can’t sail/peddle our stock TI fast enough to get out to sea thru the passes.
Then once out, if the tide is going out it’s impossible to get back in, (our main issue).
We have the exact same issue down in Key West. There is a very strong always present current down the entire west side of the island, (where we always go). When we sail south of the island, (offshore), with a stock TI it’s near impossible to get back to the island, we can’t sail/PEDDLE the boat fast enough to get back to the island. All the coral reefs and diving areas are south of the island. Before modifying our boat we got trapped offshore many times, and couldn’t get back to the island, several times we didn’t get back in till well after dark, and one time didn’t get back in till the next day, totally exhausted from PEDDLING.
That’s one reason I always say know your boats real, (not imagined) capabilities, it might save your life.

That’s all
FE

Last edited by fusioneng on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alright, I understand. We have the same problem going out the passes near Everglades City/Chokoloskee. When we set up 3-4 day camping trips, they are set up with an eye to the tides so we can get out and back in conveniently.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hate spellimh nazis with a passion, but pretty please, for my sanity, the word is PEDAL, not peddle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry I didn’t know it had to be all caps, I edited it write.

FE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

funny man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Although my TI is still out of commission, I did manage to go fishing this morning off the south side of PAV courtesy of my neighbor and a guide, Jesse Hill. (FWIW Jesse was great!) We caught 9 Sea Trout keepers among 4 of us. No sign of red tide down there at the moment and there seemed to be quite a few tents perched on or near the beach taking advantage of the perfect weather.

Fish dinner tonight!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BobAgain wrote:
Although my TI is still out of commission
You need to get that poor boat back in commission Bob !!! The weather has been amazing this spring, congrats on the good fishing day. I'll be heading out to do some sailing tomorrow and test out a couple new mods to my TI.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've still got a bum hand for at least another week, but Jim is right, the weather has been great. With your boat, you could have gone out there yourself and a partner and caught that many seatrout.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MisterMoon wrote:
We'll be doing an expedtion trip in my TI starting on Sunday, April 22. Me and a friend are racing in the LRR Challenge down the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia to Edisto Beach, SC. This is roughly a 230 mile event with three checkpoints. We start in Augusta at 800am on Sunday and go about 10 miles to the first CP at Augusta Lock and Dam. There is a rather lengthy portage there (we'll have our shore crew there with the trailer to help, allowed by the rules). The second CP is about 160 statute miles downriver at Millstone Landing, SC. This is just above where the river starts to get affected by tides. The third CP (not on the website yet) is at Port Royal, SC on the ICW, and the finish is at Edisto Watersports on Edisto Beach, SC. We have until Sunday, April 29 at 1pm to complete the course.

Course Map
Lowcountry River Rats, the organizers of the event, require satellite tracking for all competitors but don't have a public tracking page. For those who want to follow along with us, you can access my Spot shared page.

We aren't planning to push it too hard in this event and plan to sleep every night. My goal is ~50 miles per day on average and finish by Thursday or Friday.

I did a test run on the middle part of the Savannah river in February and found it to be wide and deep, perfect for a TI. It's sailable for sure. We did find a lot of big alligators, which will make selecting campsites interesting. A lot of the nice sandy spots where one might select to camp seemed to have gators on them already.

The weather for the first couple days isn't looking very promising, with strong E winds 10-20 mph, cool temps, and steady rain. This means headwinds on the river. W're going to have to experiment to see if it's faster to drop the rig and gut it out while pedaling or if short tacking upwind is worth it.

I don't expect much cellular access on a lot of the river, so I probably won't be able to update on this forum during the event. I'll try to write something at the end, though.

If my buddy likes this kind of racing, we'll team up again for the Everglades Challenge in 2019.

Just got home from the race. Good times. We finished the 246 mile course in 4 days 3 hours and 40 minutes, averaging about 12 hours on the water each day. We had a few issues with pouring rain, a bent drive, a damaged rudder, a lost knife and my trusty old Garmin GPSmap 76 is out there swimming in the ICW, but we had a great time anyway. Best day was sailing down through the port of Savannah and up to Port Royal, SC, a distance of about 60 miles.

Here's some video (if I can get it to work)

Monday morning: https://www.facebook.com/john.bell.acworth/videos/10156390127233809/

Monday afternoon: https://www.facebook.com/john.bell.acworth/videos/10156390128283809/

Wednesday afternoon after I dropped the GPS overboard: https://www.facebook.com/john.bell.acworth/videos/10156390128283809/

Crossing the finish line in Edisto Beach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MisterMoon--I was not able to follow you because of my useless right hand and company visiting. Thanks for your report!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Filler to get to new page.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Filler to get to new page.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Because of this thread length, I have made a Table of Contents. This Table is on P. 22, http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=315

Photobucket apparently has changed it's position and is again hosting photos. Accordingly, all my photos and other persons can now be seen on this thread...from the beginning.

Photobucket seems to have disappeared again--no photos from Photobucket are available. Any pictures on my posts are hosted by Cloudinary.com

Now, PB is back again and all my pictures are available again. Hopefully, as of 10:18 PM, May 25, 2018, they will stay...but don't count on it. :-)

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Their behaviour is still inexcusable as far as I am concerned. Obviosly their initial attempt at extortion, by holding our existing images to ransom, was an abject failure, so now they are offering a greatly reduced amount. Am I the only one who believes this was the cynical strategy asll along, to initially offer a ridiculous price, and then subsequently appear to be the "heroes" by slashing the price?

Either way, I still want to find somewhere else to host my images to allow posting to 3rd parties without being robbed.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've posted this elsewhere, but putting it here also. My Trailex trailer + cradles setup. My 2014 tandem (purchased new 2015) has been on this trailer since its purchase.

When I pull the boat up on the trailer, I pull it forward to the hitch.

The bow showing a bow support

The end view of a cradle

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next