Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and just purchased a TI. I tried to find the Hobie Club in Austin and learned it is not active at present. However, are there folks in Austin or in the Hill country who also sail a TI? I'm new to this boat and would benefit tremendously by sailing my boat along with others who have more knowledge and experience. Many thanks in advance for any info you may be able to share.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail on Lake Lavon, spend a lot of time looking at the telltales and tacking to avoid trees in the shallower end of the lake. I spent a couple of summers sailing sunfish, and this boat is a breeze - the toughest part (IMO) is getting boat to bite upwind, when the winds are swirly - (sure there is a technical term for that) - it can be a real challenge to progress.

IMO the boom and the sand bars at low tide in the Delaware were at a lot more exciting / challenging to sail than the tandem island on the lake (trees excepted).

If you ever want to come up and try Lavon - happy to hang out for a 1/2 day - there is a bar at the end of the lake that is a good target - but recommend packing a cooler in case the wind is weak.

-Adrian