Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The weather was beautiful. Well, for January in Maryland, anyway. It was nice and clear and sunny. According to my infrared thermometer and the weather buoy, the air temperature was about 30 degrees, while the water temperature was about 35 degrees, with 10 - 15 knot winds. A little more wind would've been nice, but that would also have increased the chop on the water.

LOL...Jim you and your loyal followers all get A's for bravery and lunacy..LOL
It is great to see grown men having such 'childlike'enthusiasm over these little craft. Funny the same feeling comes over us over here. Our children think we should be kicking back watching televison or at best walking the dog, but there we are - out there doing it. Great photos and congratulations to those that made the effort to get involved, for they are the lucky ones in life. (PS..the photos don't reflect 15 knots wind but I suppose the camera must have been away when the spray was airborne)...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats, Jim! I still think you should move the event down here! I took this picture of my wife this afternoon, wearing proper Adventure Island attire. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The 10-15 knot wind info is according to the Thomas Point weather buoy data. That's located a little further off shore from where we were sailing. In the lee of the shore, the breeze was a bit spotty sometimes, but it did get up to the recorded speeds in places. All in all, it was a good time. It was our first time doing real winter sailing. One thing is certain though, it won't be the last. As long as the water isn't iced over, and there is nothing significant coming down (I think sailing in a gentle snowfall might be rather enjoyable.), then we'll be sure to keep doing it. As for "proper Adventure Island attire", anyone can sail when the weather is nice & warm. This is dedication!

We do have to be careful about the launch though. The water level on Spa Creek is down about 2-3 ft from where it was over the summer. That makes the ramp down to the floating dock a lot steeper. But we have other launch locations to work with as well. This is just the one that put us closest to the open water of the Chesapeake Bay. The others are a little further upriver from the saltwater of the bay though, so they may be a little quicker to freeze over.

Glenn_SouthRiver & I will be sure to keep everyone updated on our future adventures.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L