Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Folks,

Back when I was growing up on the Great Lakes there was a New Years Day tradition, that some lunatics (not me) would participate in, known as a Polar Bear Swim. It involved cutting a hole in the ice on the lake/bay/harbor, and going for a swim in the freezing water. Well, now I live in the Chesapeake Bay region, and I think it's time to start a new tradition. A New Years Day Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail in Annapolis, MD.

I've talked to the folks at my dealer, Backyard Boats in Annapolis, MD, and they have agreed to let us use their floating dock as a launch point. From the people I've talked to in the area, Spa Creek, which is the Annapolis harbor, is not likely to be frozen over at New Years Day. That's a good thing, because as versatile a boat as the AI is, I don't think they'd make much of an icebreaker. There's plenty of parking and room to set up & rig the boats. It's an easy launch off the floating dock. From there we can sail in Spa Creek & the harbor, or venture out into the Severn River, & the Chesapeake Bay. With proper preparation & equipment, it should be a good time. I think dry suits will be pretty much a necessity, as well as gloves, hats, and sufficient insulating inner wear.

So, what do you think? Up for a chilly day on the water? Let's start a new tradition. Who knows, some day you may be able to say you were there for the 1st Annual New Years Day Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail!

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject: Polar Bear Sail
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All,

I'll be there! Great location to sail and as long as you have a dry suit it should be good. Afterwards we can meet at the Boat Yard Bar and Grill for something to heat us up! Should be fun.

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And they reckon Aussies are lunatics!! LOL...Good luck guys. Mind you we are planning for a warm day with beautiful lakes breezes on New Years Day. Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
And they reckon Aussies are lunatics!!

The existence of OTHER lunatics doesn't negate Aussie lunacy... ;)

I think it's only a matter of time before one of our frozen AI owners puts skates on his hulls and takes to the ice. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim L, if you ever want to move your lunatic event to Florida, I'll host it at my place. A New Year's Sunburned Bear Sail? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What do you mean "LUNATIC"? With the proper gear & preparation, it'll be a ball! As long as the creek isn't frozen over, it'll just be cold. It's just a matter of having the proper equipment.

So come on out, all you Washington, DC area AI owners! I know you're out there because my dealer tells me that she's sold well over 100 of them herself. I've met several of you on the water, and some have said they are readers of this forum. Come on out and join in for a little bit of New Years Day Lunacy! You'll be able to tell all your friends that you were there for the beginning of a tradition.

Glenn_Southriver & I will be there. We're going to meet at the Backyard Boats location at 222 Severn Avenue Annapolis, Maryland 21403. There's plenty of parking, and room to rig & unrig the boats. They have a floating dock, so launching there is a breeze. That puts us onto Spa Creek, which opens onto the Severn River, and from there into the Chesapeake Bay. We haven't really picked a start time yet, so we're flexible on that. Somewhere around mid-day to early afternoon is what we're thinking. That'll give us a chance to have some fun while it's still light out. Glenn has a waterproof camera, so we'll try to take some pictures to post.

- Jim L

Here's a link to Google Maps image of the area

[url]<iframe></iframe><br><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=222+Severn+Avenue+Annapolis,+Maryland+21403&amp;sll=38.974683,-76.481581&amp;sspn=0.003954,0.009656&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=38.982831,-76.476517&amp;spn=0.003954,0.009656&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;source=embed">View Larger Map</a></small>[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, so the map link didn't post correctly. Just do a Google search for the address given above.

As for relocating the event to Florida, I'll be in Annapolis for this one. But there's no reason we can't have events going on in multiple locations. Glenn & I are thinking of doing a trip down to the Keys in the spring to do some sailing down there. Maybe we can coordinate a few folks to join up with then.

- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

google link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom. First time I'd tried to post a link to something other than an image on Photobucket. Appreciate the assist.

I just used Google map to take a look at your area. Looks like Punta Gorda has some awesome sailing. That bay appears to be big enough to do some decent runs, and the ocean (or I guess it's the Gulf of Mexico there, isn't it?) isn't too far off either. And you can get out there year round, without having to bundle up. Pretty cool.

- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nah, it sucks. It's terribly hot, there's never any wind except in thunderstorms, the biting insects will drain you dry, and we have cockroaches the size of Volkswagens. And they fly right at you. It's nice to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LOL Tom... It appears there are better sailing destinations on this planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd love to get a chance to visit Australia, but the extra bag charge for the AI would be HUGE! :D

- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come over Jim, and I will lend you mine for a sail on one one of the best sailing destinations imaginable....Merry Christmas...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Folks!

Only a few days left until the big event! There are still a few slots available for some bold & ambitious Adventurer Islanders. Come on out and join us in the 1st Annual New Years Day AI Polar Bear Sail in Annapolis, MD! Water temperatures in the Chesapeake Bay are currently about 40 degrees. Weather forecast for Thursday in Annapolis is mostly sunny, with temperatures in the mid/upper 30's. So load up the AI, pack in your drysuit, or your wetsuit if you prefer, and come join the fun.

We're meeting at Backyard Boats in Annapolis, MD at noon on Thursday. Backyard Boats is located at
222 Severn Avenue
Annapolis, Maryland 21403

There's a link elsewhere in this thread to a Google Map of the location. So dress warmly, but come on out and have some fun. Look at it this way, the brisk temperatures will be a great remedy for the lingering effects from ringing in the new year the night before.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Some folks may have though we were crazy, but today's 1st Annual Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail was a lot of fun. Glenn_SouthRiver & I spent about two and half hours this afternoon sailing on Spa Creek & the Severn River, off Annapolis, MD. What's more, while we were the only AI's out there, we were far from the only boats on the water today. We counted about 30 other sailboats participating in the Annapolis Yacht Clubs annual Hangover Regatta. John, the assistant manager at Backyard Boats in Annapolis had planned to join us, but unfortunately a broken arm kept him off the water.

The weather was beautiful. Well, for January in Maryland, anyway. It was nice and clear and sunny. According to my infrared thermometer and the weather buoy, the air temperature was about 30 degrees, while the water temperature was about 35 degrees, with 10 - 15 knot winds. A little more wind would've been nice, but that would also have increased the chop on the water.

Here's a few photos we took of today's fun...

Glenn_SouthRiver & Jim_L preparing to launch at the Backyard Boats dock

Glenn_SouthRiver on the Severn River just off Spa Creek & the Annapolis Harbor. You can't see it in this photo, but just after this was taken, Glenn noticed that he had a coating of ice around the toe of his one water boot. He would've taken a picture of it, but he'd already passed the camera to me.

Jim_L on the Severn River just off Spa Creek & the Annapolis Harbor

Jim_L sailing with a few of the boats in the Annapolis Yacht Club Annual Hangover Regatta

Tried to get a shot of the whole Hangover Regatta fleet, but with so many boats, this was the best we could do. There were about 30 boats in the race fleet. This is looking North, up the Severn River, towards the Rt 450 bridge.

This is going to be an annual tradition, so plan on joining us next year. Who knows, maybe we'll even get t-shirts made.

Happy New Years everybody, and Happy Sailing!
- Jim_L