Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You guys have got my juices flowing with me now imagining overnighters actually staying on the AI which until now I did see as at all practical. I assume Chris that the poles and all completely fit inside the hull. I am surprised Mickey has not popped his head in here as he will be very excited about this breakthrough also. I am very much looking forward to your further reports......Pirate :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
You guys have got my juices flowing with me now imagining overnighters actually staying on the AI which until now I did see as at all practical. I assume Chris that the poles and all completely fit inside the hull. I am surprised Mickey has not popped his head in here as he will be very excited about this breakthrough also. I am very much looking forward to your further reports......Pirate :)

Yeah, I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods Pirate, but camping is (quite rightly) severely restricted in the national parks in our area - usually confined to the odd noisy overcrowded area. This way, all you need to find is a quiet inlet and away you go. I am assuming it would be perfectly legal. Here's how I think I would carry the rig:
The hammock weighs 1.2kg and stuffs into a tiny bag.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some National Parks scatered here Chris but mostly Crown Land with few restrictions. The idea of sleeping off the ground appeals to me however regardless of restrictions. Would you consider using telescopic tubes in place of the plastic pipes in order to be able to get them inside the hull? Maybe just one tube running inside the other possibly in aluminium to keep the strength up all the while minimising weight....Pirate :?:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Some National Parks scatered here Chris but mostly Crown Land with few restrictions. The idea of sleeping off the ground appeals to me however regardless of restrictions. Would you consider using telescopic tubes in place of the plastic pipes in order to be able to get them inside the hull? Maybe just one tube running inside the other possibly in aluminium to keep the strength up all the while minimising weight....Pirate :?:

I'm quite happy to carry them lashed to the akas Pirate. Even if I could get them in the hull, they are just going to take up valuable space for other camping gear. I already have aluminium boat hooks running inside the PVC pipes and they can be telescopic. It might be possible to shorten the pipes a bit - I think Phil is interested in exploring that possibility.
If you are really keen to get them inside, as in within the cavity of the hull, you could cut the PVC pipes in two and use a sleeve (joiner) to reconstitute them when required.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another way to fix them Chris might be to leash them to my tramps....will have to think about it a bit more...Pirate :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Couldn't you just put them out to the side of the tramps?
Or on the rear cargo bay:
Yeah, I know - I should spend less time fiddling with the boat and more time trimming the grass. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Twerto,
I have been thinking about your mast comment. You actually could take the mast down, pull the sail off, pull the 2 piece mast apart and use both pieces assuming you could find some tee ends to fit.
But then what do you do with a flapping unwrapped sail all night? I guess you could use it for the fly sheet!
This is starting to look like a transformer :roll: How cool 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm thinking Hobie should consider an Expedition version of the Adventure Island..... :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hehe the whole sail part didnt even enter my head to be honest i just envisaged this metal pole, was just trying to build on what others have come up with already and ( semi tongue in cheek ) create a system that used most of what you had already.

Quote:
Got ants in my pants and I need to dance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
I'm thinking Hobie should consider an Expedition version of the Adventure Island..... :)

They could do a special run in the Moss colour and call it the Hobie-Hennessy Expedition Island!
Latest enhancements:
Put snap hooks on the guys and each end of the ridge line.
This greatly speeds setup:
1. Connect PVC pipes to crossbars and lay them flat.
2. Connect snap hooks on guys to amas.
3. Pass bow strap under boat and connect snap hook.
4. Rotate front PVC pipe up until front guys are taut.
5. Pull bow end of ridge line taut and wrap three times around shaft of front boat hook.
6. Rotate rear PVC pipe up until rear guys are taut.
7. Pull ridge line back until the section supporting the hammock is taut and wrap three times around shaft of rear boat hook.
8. Connect rear snap hook to stern strap and pass strap under boat.
9. Connect fly to tops of boat hooks. Extend rear boat hook to tighten fly.
10. Connect the side ties from the hammock and fly to the amas (I haven't got snap fittings for these yet).

It's much quicker than it sounds.

Also, although I abhor paddle abuse, I found that by cutting tiny notches into the tips of the paddle, I could use the two halves to wing the fly out further:
Image Image

This makes quite a difference and it feels really spacious and airy inside:

Apart from getting some small plastic snap hooks for the side ties, that's probably about it until Phil comes on board.

Last edited by chrisj on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This forum is a world-wide 'think-tank' for Hobie to ponder over. Many suggestions just must not hit the commercial mark but just a few must sail through to next base. What a wonderful platform for both the company and the consumer user to regularly consult....Pirate :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Cowsgomoo wrote:

They could do a special run in the Moss colour and call it the Hobie-Hennessy Expedition Island!
Latest enhancements:
Put snap hooks on the guys and each end of the ridge line.

This greatly speeds setup:
1. Connect PVC pipes to crossbars and lay them flat.
2. Connect snap hooks on guys to amas.
3. Pass bow strap under boat and connect snap hook.
4. Rotate front PVC pipe up until front guys are taut.
5. Pull bow end of ridge line taut and wrap three times around shaft of front boat hook.
6. Rotate rear PVC pipe up until rear guys are taut.
7. Pull ridge line back until the section supporting the hammock is taut and wrap three times around shaft of rear boat hook.
8. Connect rear snap hook to stern strap and pass strap under boat.
9. Connect fly to tops of boat hooks. Extend rear boat hook to tighten fly.
10. Connect the side ties from the hammock and fly to the amas (I haven't got snap fittings for these yet).

It's much quicker than it sounds.

Also, although I abhor paddle abuse, I found that by cutting tiny notches into the tips of the paddle, I could use the two halves to wing the fly out further:
This makes quite a difference and it feels really spacious and airy inside:

Apart from getting some small plastic snap hooks for the side ties, that's probably about it until Phil comes on board.

Chris - it's looking better and better :wink: Have you had your sleep out yet??
I thought you might be able to come up with a bunk arrangement for the forthcoming tandem model :roll: :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Chris - it's looking better and better :wink: Have you had your sleep out yet??
I thought you might be able to come up with a bunk arrangement for the forthcoming tandem model :roll: :lol:

I've had a few hours' sleep in it Mickey, but not overnight on the water. I've got the 'flu and my wife won't let me :( :( :( .
I'll leave it to Phil to come up with a double bunk version. He's the innovator around here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arrggghhh, I can't help myself. Here's another variant:
On the Hennessy website, one user suggests you run a line under the fly so it can't sag when wet. If you hang the Mirage drive from the end, it gives you somewhere to put the drive and maintains constant tension in the line.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just how long does it take you now to set up the Hennessy Hammock on the boat Chris?.. Pirate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next