Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Trips around Sydney
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
CGM,
Searching for Shipwrecks! What another great reason to get out on the AI! You're brave though, using your side scan sonar to see what's under you. A while back, with my polarized sunglasses on, and sailing in a good wind, I was watching the the water flow past the ama, when between the ama and boat, I passed over a scary image. It was about 3-4 feet down, I saw the top of a head and shoulders, it was all smooth and crearm colored. With the crazy imagination I have, the first thought which came into my mind was a great, creepy movie from the 70's called, "S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S". :shock: It was about a guy who was doing experiments on humans with snake venom, turning them into snakes. This image I saw in the water looked like the snake/man who was on display at a Fair. A little too freaked out to back sail and see if I could locate it and really look at it, I never really knew what it was. But I bet if I had a side sonar on my boat, like your's CGM, I probably would have seen a light colored harbor seal just hanging out under the water.

Curious as to what your winter temps are there in Sidney. Last week, on Camano Il, WA, the temp was mostly 75 the whole week and nice winds to fill the sail every day. I always have a hard time coming home to the city.

Great post CGM. You guys always make me smile. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was 73 in Sydney today. The sea temperature is 65. We're fortunate that we get warm currents through the winter, so the water temperature never gets too low. (July is the coldest month).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not exactly AI related but it fits the Trips around Sydney thread. Visited the Sydney International Boat Show on the weekend. Heard some great talks from Jessica Watson, Don McIntyre and Mike Perham. They also had a guy who's blog I've been reading for awhile - The Fat Paddler (Sean Smith).

His blog can be found here - http://fatpaddler.com/

Interesting guy who had a nasty car accident and turned to kayaking his way back to good health. Anyway if you another view of Trips around Sydney have a look at his blog. I've found it well worth the read and a bit of an inspiration.

And I got a couple of Jess Watson's books signed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm missing getting out on the AI. Been busy taking photos and other stuff. How many Sydneysiders can we get out of hibination for a sail?

Det seems to be missing in action too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okzook and CGM, you are being summonsed.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=31485&p=124277#p124277

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm out every weekend with a new Ai and keen to meet up with other owners. I take off from Lane Cove and Northbridge, I'm also available Mon Tues when Syd harbour is uncrowded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
okzook and CGM, you are being summonsed.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=31485&p=124277#p124277

Looking looking... Kinda had some stuff on the next few weekends. I have to check about being on call as well. Let me do some more looking.

Note sure where Okzook is. Left emails and phone messages. He's still missing in action.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowsgomoo wrote:
I'm missing getting out on the AI. Been busy taking photos and other stuff. How many Sydneysiders can we get out of hibination for a sail?

Det seems to be missing in action too.

My AI has been strapped to the side of the house for almost 10 months. Just need a new rudder line ad will be out on Burley Griffin next weekend. - Looking forward to catching up with you all at JB in Feb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12