Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trips around Sydney
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In Melbourne with the family for Christmas - needed an AI fix but Scott L didn't know of anyone prepared to hire me one, so I played solo with Hemmi's Oasis in Port Philip Bay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
In Melbourne with the family for Christmas - needed an AI fix but Scott L didn't know of anyone prepared to hire me one, so I played solo with Hemmi's Oasis in Port Philip Bay

I brought mine with me to Melbourne. :D
Travelled well on top...

I kept an eye for Hobies on the way down the Hume Hwy. Only saw 2, a blue Adventure/Revo and a blue Outback.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
To speed up my return I was peddling hard and pointing as high as I could without luffing the sail - then Mirage drive problems. The drive felt like it was skipping teeth. I took it out to inspect, but the chain tension felt OK. The skipping worsened soon at a point where the drive was virtually useless.

On close inspection of my Mirage drive under lights I discovered the root cause of my problem:
Image Image Image

Now I'm off to get a new sprocket - that should solve the problem.

Last edited by okz00k on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow!

Has anybody else wore a socket down like that? :shock:

You brute! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
Quote:
To speed up my return I was peddling hard and pointing as high as I could without luffing the sail - then Mirage drive problems. The drive felt like it was skipping teeth. I took it out to inspect, but the chain tension felt OK. The skipping worsened soon at a point where the drive was virtually useless.

On close inspection of my Mirage drive under lights I discovered the root cause of my problem:
Image Image

Now I'm off to get a new sprocket - that should solve the problem.

Is that a root cause or a symptom of something else? What caused the chain to slip over the teeth of the sprocket and grind them down like that? Is that one or both sprockets?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The problem is on the front sprocket only. The rear chain sprocket shows virtually no wear - no sharpening of teeth let alone tops ground.

I don't know the history of the drive, it came with the boat I bought second hand in late October '09. I have regularly checked chain tension and it seemed fine, however, I never closely inspected the teeth. I can only guess that extreme chain slack resulted in initial sprocket slip and grind down.

Sailing Scene had an upgrade sprocket/turbo mast kit in stock so picked up. Now I have one good sprocket/mast assembly for the spares box.

Last edited by okz00k on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
The problem is on the front sprocket only. The rear chain sprocket shows virtually no wear - no sharpening of teeth let alone tops ground.

I don't know the history of the drive, it came with the boat I bought second hand in late October '09. I have regularly checked chain tension and it seemed fine, however, I never closely inspected the teeth. I can only guess that extreme chain slack resulted in initial sprocket slip and grind down.

The sprocket wear is a bit of a shock :shock: I have never heard of anyone else experiencing this yet - makes you wonder what the previous owner did with it :roll:
okz00k great stories, pix and stats. What GPS are you using?
I think you are using an Olympus SW30 or similar camera........
Look forward to reading more of your adventures :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
What GPS are you using?
I think you are using an Olympus SW30 or similar camera........

GPS is a Garmen eTrex (simple old handheld) - I download my tracks to OziExplorer which provides the track profiles.

Camera is either a Sony DSC-P1 in underwater housing, or my HTC Touch Diamond phone. I also have an Olympus mju 9000 which occasionally comes out of its dry bag, but I'm looking forward to one of those waterproof pocketable jobbies in the not too distant future.

Next trip is this evening in Sydney Harbour again - this time with a fishing rod and new Mirage sprockets and masts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First Sail for 2010

My holidays were over and I was back at work in Sydney on 4 January, so it was time to get back on Sydney Harbour. On Wednesday 6 January I set off from Woolahra Sailing club at approx 6:00pm. This time I had a rod, reel and tackle with me, so one objective was to see how to fish and sail at the same time. I set out with no paticular track in mind - just an aim to be back at WSC not long after 8:00pm.

I usually rigged the sail and furling line once on the water, however, this time I fully rigged the sail whilst still on the hard stand. I mounted the rigged rod on the paddle holder bungee on the port gunwale, then rolled the AI down the ramp and set off, peddling until I was clear of the moored yachts in Rose Bay. With sail still furled, I removed the rod from the paddle holder. I still had fair headway and let the tip of the rod drop into the water and quickly learned that one needs a firm grip as the rod suddenly pivoted to point the tip aft. Grip recovered and rod extracted from the sea I popped the rod into the port rear rod holder on the AI and let out about 20m of line.

Next to see if the rod interfered with the sail. Certainly no problem down wind. Then a couple of short tacks and all is good. The rod remained outside the sail and main sheet, so I was off sailing again and let out about 80m of line.

When I set off in Rose Bay the wind was predominately from the SE at 5-10 kts. As I passed Steel Piont and Shark Bay it dropped to 5 kts or less, but as I approached Watsons Bay it came up again and the reach towards South Head was a delight.
It was still early and I had made good headway, so decided to stick the nose outside again and take a look at North Head.

On the way I passed several boats with fishing lines out, some of them hauling in what looked like bream and travelli, but my rod remained steady - not a bite.

A long 1m to 2m swell ran from the ESE between the heads and now the wind had turned SW. At the time I decided to turn back, near North Head the swell became sharper and on the return I managed to catch a few nice waves. The most direct line home was across the swell - not a problem at first, however, a couple of sharp 2m broadside waves put me at a very interesting angle - I can now imagine how to tip an AI over. To avoid excessive adrenelin I pointed the AI into the swell for a short distance until I was back in the shelter of the harbour.

With the wind now from the SSW at 10-15 kts with occasional gusts up to 20. With my destination in the same direction, I missed the long reach I was hoping for on the way home and tacking became the order of the day. One long tack took me behind a Manly ferry and on to Georges Head, then a short tack towards Vaucluse Point at which time I noticed an ocean liner heading out. As I approached Chowder Bay, the pilot boat came over and highlighted the liner to me - obviously I was staying well out of her path. After a friendly wave from the pilot crew we headed our separate ways, after which I tacked across behind the Volemdam for a close look.

Then another long tack to Bradleys Head in anticipation of a reach to the southern end of Shark Island and several tacks and a few fun reaches back to WSC.

Trip Distance: 8.86 NM (plus ~2 NM after GPS battery died)
Max Speed: 8.8 kts
Moving Average: 4.9 kts
Time moving: 1hr 48min (plus ~20min after GPS battery died)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd love to be a ring-in on one of your harbour adventures. If it fits in with my schedule, I'll be there. Great thread okz00k. 4 weeks and you're gett'n right into some great trips.

I just got back from Dunns Swamp as I mentioned. I didn't get time to drop in at Franks Breakaway as you suggested but the whole area really blew me away. Sometimes I forget how good the AI hull is at being a plain and simple kayak. I posted the following pics in the Hobie kayak section. Hope they bring back some memories of the swamp for you.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19525&p=92056#p92056

Hope we can organise a get together on the harbour.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My next trip is Wednesday 13 January, departing Woolhara Sailing Club ramp at ~6:00pm. I'd love some company. I'm trying to make this a Wednesday ritual whilst the extended twilight and daylight slaving's still with us - until mid March.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure if I can make it this week but I'd like to try to make it sometime.
Perhaps sail over to Doyles for fish and chips on the beach sometime for dinner.
Might be easier to park the AI than a car...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
My next trip is Wednesday 13 January, departing Woolhara Sailing Club ramp at ~6:00pm. I'd love some company. I'm trying to make this a Wednesday ritual whilst the extended twilight and daylight slaving's still with us - until mid March.

Did you go for a sail? Hope the thunderstorm didn't hit you.
One of the guys as work does a regular twilight sail but they cancelled tonight due to the weather.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sydney was relatively cool today with a max temp of only 29C, but by 5:30pm when I got to WSC the wind had swung to the south, ominous black clouds surrounded the city and the temp had dropped to 20C. I held off rigging up, curious how the weather was evolving.

With no further 35 kts plus gusts, I decided that it was time to drill sail furling, so I got dresses, adding wet suit shorts and spray jacket over the usual rash tights and top, and proceeded to rig up the AI. This time I left the fishing rod and tackle behind and double checked that I had the dry bag with nav lights.

The wind dropped right off as I wheeled the AI down the boat ramp, and peddling out through the moored yachts was very civilised in a 15kts SSWester, so I set the full sail for a down wind run. It wasn't long before the wind was back at 25 kts gusting 30. As I approached Shark Island the wind had whipped up a 30cm trailing sea and I was surfing - in Rose Bay! (most unusual).

By this time I had experimented with various amounts of reef, at each quarter of the wind. I found that furling to the H of the Hobie logo left me with a reasonably manageable AI, on most points of the 20-25 kt wind. As it gusted to 30+kts, furling to the end of the flat at the top of the sail, or even more, was needed to make the AI manageable again.

The keel boats were out for the usual Wednesday twilight racing, and with most back from the Sydney-Hobart, they were out in force - having a great great time in these stormy conditions. However, apart from one sailboard screaming along in the shallows at the south end of Rose Bay and one dragon boat with crew franticly paddling up and down the western shore, my AI was the only small craft in view.

With the unruly weather and my experimenting with various degrees of sail reef it had taken me almost 45 min to travel the 1.5 NM to Shark Point. It was now time to beat my way back to the WSC. Several tacks took me very close to the course of some of the racing yachts and I had to moderate my track several times to stay out of their way.

I got back to the southern end of the bay quicker than expected, so spent a bit of time reaching back and forth. On the port reach I was blessed with spectacular lightning display over the city, and as I wheeled the AI back up the ramp, down came the rain.

All in all another great sail in Sydney Harbour.

Apologies for no photos. With the unabating unruly conditions I felt that my attention should remain on the AI's main sheet, furling line and rudder. No stats this time because my GPS kept insisting on shutting itself down - investigating the cause is the next item on my TTD list. My guess is:
- Distance travelled: ~5NM
- Max speed: maybe up to 8kts
- Trip duration: 1hr 45min

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:

Are you going out tomorrow evening (January 20)? I'll be in Sydney, so will try to make it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next