Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cruisey Sailing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since pedalling the 26kms of the 3 River Race, this is the first time my daughter Kalya has been out for a sail, so it's just as well the winds were quite light. Considering it's Winter, it was a lovely day, although Kalya started to feel the chill towards the end... having stripped down to only a bikini... bbbrrrr!

Video is a bit on the long side, but it had to fit the 'cruisey' song I picked! 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgb4clsjqZk[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: Cruisey Sailing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still taunting the yacht guys, I see. :lol:

Max, those spray skirts are doing a fantastic job. I'm impressed. Look a bit loose though. Bob?

BTW, have you ever explained why you steer from the front seat? Thought Hobie recommends big guys and soloists in the back?

Just hogging the camera?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guess I just can't resist sailing circles around the keelers. :lol:

Yes, the skirts are still a bit loose, as Bob pointed out. I've tightened the hull side a bit, and fastened them to the forward hatch, that part is looking good. The main slack is in the 'outhaul'. This is still bungee, so I can fold in the amas without unclipping the skirts. Will play with this some more. Mind you, they still work well!

I'm in the forward seat as the kids aren't up to speed with the sailing bit yet, so I like to have ready access to the furling line and centreboard. However, just got the tramps today, so I'll definitely be relegated to the rear! Better get that cleat organised for the furling line. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BTW, I did sit in the rear when I went solo offshore a week back. It lifts the bow quite a bit, which results in a lot of 'slapping' on the flat-bottomed main hull over the chop. The great vid posted by Tim "TI versus AI" shows the TI performing really well with two; my guess is that sailing solo from the rear is less efficient. I'm actually wondering if some ballast in the front seat when solo would be beneficial?

On the plus side, when hard pressed, the TI should show less weather helm as the CLR is moved aft when solo.

Last edited by captain-max on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had noticed this porpoising in several videos. Couple sandbags in the bow will cure that.

I think Matt's comments were to the effect that soloing in the rear seat (or the biggie in the rear seat) provides a better rudder profile. A worthy goal.

The kids are going to love the tramps. They looked confined and a little "too cool" for the rear seat. (And now you can keep an eye on them).

May I suggest giving them the camera for awhile and letting them wander around? Or take their friends along.

Tramps are "cool".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed - tramps are one of the best features of the TI - Cindy uses them all the time!

BTW, great vid, Max! I'm impressed your daughter wanted to catch as much rays as she did; looked cold out.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: Kalya got very warm on the downhill run... wouldn't believe me that she should get dressed back up for the uphill run - and regretted it. Wasn't really cold as such, but mix water and wind... you know the result.