Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I sailed from the public launch on the north end at Ft Desoto, FL and sailed out to Egmont Key (just off shore about 6 miles from the launch). We had full scuba gear (one tank ea) and 3 small coolers (beer, food , etc). It was really alot of fun for us, the winds we out of the east at around 12mph, we made the trip out in a little over an hour, it was a little rough out in the shipping channel (2-3 ft swells) but nothing the TI couldn't handle. My big spinaker really worked well on the 90 degree reach (see my post The ultimate Tandem Island (hydrofoils, Spinnaker, jib, etc) for details on my sails and stuff) The scuba tanks were lashed to the rear AKA's, and seem secure there, we could also lash another set of tanks to the front AKA's if we were to do two tank dives. With my wife and I plus 4 tanks and all gear we are at the weight limit of the boat (600 lbs). When we go out with more than two people I typically tow additional kayaks out (like a party barge). With the additional kayaks lashed between the hull and the AMA's it's actually kind of fun. We have a friend with a blow up Zodiak like boat, we have talked about loading all the gear in that and towing that out to dive sites (mostly in the keys where all the good dive sites are 5-6 miles out).
I made a bimini from the old spinaker from my old Oasis, that keeps us in the shade. The big dive flag is hoisted to the top of the mast via the spinaker haul up line when we are diving (next to my jolly roger flag). We met a group on the windward side of the Island and spent the afternoon in crystal clear water diving along the shore (found lots of nice shells and stuff). It was a really fun day. On the way back the wind had shifted and was mich lighter, most of the trip back was against the wind, It took a little over two hours to get back to the launch site alone (my wife bailed on me and rode back in the powerboat).
Bob
2010 Tandem Island
2007 Revolution

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice... nice! I've often thought the TI would make a great dive platform. Maybe you could post some pics?

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pictures Bob. Pictures!

Too bad you lost your pedal partner on the return leg. Plus it's a bear throwing those empty tanks from tramp to tramp for ballast. :mrgreen: