Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had a spare couple of hours at the weekend and with expected winds of 16 knots how could I resist. The winds didn't eventuate at all but it was one of the warmest days for the last few weeks so it was a good time to try out the new tramps. As you can see from the photos, there wasn't much excitement but I just thought I would share with you some pics of my local area.

Map of route

Wangi launch site

Pulling up to Pulbah Island for lunch

Wangi Point looking South East

Wangi Point looking North West

Coffee Break

I haven't made my mind up with the tramps yet. I think they have there place and on an overnight trip they would definately come in handy for storage but personally, I like to actually see and feel the water. They seem to be too big a surface area, take away a bit of the sportiness and thrill, and turn it into a cruiser, ( or aircraft carrier ).
I may change my mind when I get a few more years on me and feel like sunning myself out on the poop deck with a coktail.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pics mate (brings back memories). 8)
Your new AI looks stunning and your signwriting looks very classy.
I think you'll appreciate the tramps more when the wind picks up a bit or you are offshore. I know what you mean about seeing/feeling the water especially when it's glassy smooth like in your pics. Did you try rolling them up?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes mate, it was a very relaxing day. There was a yachting regatta going around the island so I had front row seating watching some pretty expensive stuff sail by.

I didn't but I spose I could have rolled them up and I'm sure I will warm to them. They will certainly come in handy on trips.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great Pictures! I went by my local sailing shop today and saw an AI in Dune. That colour is really growing on me now. I know what you mean about the tramps making it feel like an aircraft carrier, but I had the opposite feeling when I put mine on. I bought the tramps with the boat, and only went out on it a couple of times without the tramps, but to me, the tramps gave it a much more substantial feel, it made it feel like a "real sailboat" to me. Of course, I'm coming from a kayaking background, so simply having Ama's made me feel like I was in a much bigger boat. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like another great trip. Think we should be looking at another get together. I'm feeling very slack looking at these great pics...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice looking unit Slaughter, I also tried the tramps and didn't care for them. I agree with Cows about a sail, I'd love a sail around your lake in the very near future.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I must admit CGM, I'm feeling much the same. I'm starting to store nuts, plug up my rear end with clay so the ants don't get in, find a nice cozy bed, and slip into hibination mode. I need you blokes to snap me out of it. You got me think'n Dave, how about this for an idea.

From the southern most tip to the most northern tip and return. 57kms. With a nice 15 knot easterly, we would kill it. Meet at Chain Valley Bay. It's just off the highway for you blokes coming up from the south. Sail to Pulbah Island for breakfast, Speers Point for lunch, Marks Point for afternoon tea. ( who says my life revolves around food ) What do you reckon. If you think it's a goer, I'll start a post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The length of Lake Macquarie has been on my bucket list for a while, but I've always thought of it as a one way trip with shuttle. I guess 57km is OK with favourable winds, but it could be a bit of a drag pedalling all the way or going into a headwind for half the journey.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've just finished reading 'Crossing the Ditch' from Foster to NZ by kayak, so I'm probably still in an adventurous mood. You're right though Chris, you would only want to attempt it with the right winds ie: if we did it today, we would want to start from the northern end....perfect. If worst came to worst though, I live 1/2 way up it's length so with a quick phone call we could get a lift back to the cars.

But then the Trans-Macquarie crossing would be labeled as 'assisted' and would therefor loose some credibility and shine with the media etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate, while we're on the subject (more or less), I reckon everyone should try to equip themselves to carry two boats on (or behind) their car. Then any two people can organise a shuttle by meeting at the destination, leaving a car there, driving the boats back to the starting point, completing the sail, then driving the boats back to the starting point. Obviously, you can do it with more than two people, but it needs to be an even number. This effectively doubles the distance you can cover on any day, plus you get to choose to sail in whichever direction offers the most advantageous winds. You can rooftop two AI's using J racks (like Joakim):Image
or a set of Mako racks (like augaug):Image
If you're talking TI's, I guess you would each need a two boat trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, I get what you mean. I've now got my trailer set up ( just need a tow bar ) which will only take 1 at this stage. But also 1 on the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey that's great. I already have J racks, so once you have a tow bar, we'll be home and hosed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm in for the voyage, why not do an overnighter and cicumnav your lake. I have new camping gear to test, there must be a camp site we can swing by?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That throws a completely different light on the trip Dave. Below are a couple of options for camping spots. The 2 'red tents' are legal and although the 2 'green tents' are illegal they are both top spots.

These are all on the southern end as the northern end is more populated. These are just off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more if I do some research. The campsite on the far left in Myuna Bay would possibly be the pick. I have stayed there previously and it is well protected and legal. With this weather we are having I don't think we will be fighting anyone for a campsite.
I worked out that to completely circumnavigate is about 127kms staying a stones throw away from the shore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My plan would be to set up camp and cars in a central position on your lake, sail peddle day one to suit conditions arriving back to base camp in the afternoon. Those who stay could enjoy a bbq and a beer or 2, tell lies and turn in. Next day the other half of your lake could be explored and bingo trip done. The weather would have to be monitored and system go be at short notice. What are your thoughts?