Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New TI, how much $?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ihop got it right for where he lives (he is highly fortunate to live near a State in the US that charges no sales tax.
In Canada, even though our highly bouncy ball dollar is near 6% over the US currency, we pay 15% in prov/fed taxes so it actually costs us more than it does in OR, USA.
Freight charges will always be a factor if the goods have to be containerized (plus local duties and taxes).
Get a sharp Accountant friend to help you out to try to write off the costs (if possible)

If not, simply consider it as a surcharge for prolly the sweetest toy(s) you ever imported!!

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Postscript:
If you live down Under, up and over, or half way up the inner colon, a container has a fixed freight charge.
Get a freight agent/customs broker in the US near Longbeach Harbour and share the cost of a container. Stuff as many boats as you can into a standard container and split the cost.
I may get this post deleted, but I see no reason for suggesting that any local dealer gets a huge profit bonus for doing something that can be done by anyone.....
Buy a bunch of 'boats' and ship them overseas for the benefit of 'friends'
as they share the shipping costs.

(PM me for more details)

Cheers
Trinamite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought one from Mariner Sails here in Dallas Tx. The price I paid was $3599. but to thet add sales tax and $8o. for Texas title application and two years registration. So it came to real close to $4,ooo. even , all inclusive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow! That's a great price, sure it was new 2011?

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

More likely it was an AI. A New TI for $3600 would probably be below dealer cost.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IslandHoppa27:
Looking at the Mariner sails web site, I'm guessing longkayakwithsail has an AI (basically the same boat but with one seat vs two). The TI price on their web store is $4999.
When I bought my TI I found out that any of the Hobie mirage boats really hold their value. I traded in my 2007 Oasis at the Hobie dealer, which was in excellent condition, they sold the Oasis within a week. It was a perfect boat for someone who wanted to buy a Hobie but can't afford the new price. Used Hobie Mirage boats are very rare and difficult to find, I think because everyone who buys Hobies love them and don't want to part with them. I actually kind of miss the Oasis it was a great boat, but I love my TI even more. Of course it helps to live in Florida where there are a gazillian kayaks with Hobies at the top of the desired list. Every time we are out nearly everyone who passes us on the water admire our Hobies, and say I want one of those. Yea they are a little expensive, but the value for what you get is unmatched.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

$5748 in April in Florida
Includes:
Dune TI
Trampolines
2-wheel cart
Air shipment to Detroit (~$200)

It was still cheaper for me to buy it in Florida and ship it to Detroit than to buy locally. The TackleShack in St. Petersburg sells lots and lots of these boats.

Next to my BMW 1200GS motorcycle, it is my most satisfying toy purchase ever!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John Smallberries wrote:
Includes:
Dune TI
Trampolines
2-wheel cart

It was still cheaper for me to buy it in Florida and ship it to Detroit than to buy locally. The TackleShack in St. Petersburg sells lots and lots of these boats.

You might have to post a pic of that! :). Then when I get my TI, I can post a pic of it next to my new GS-eating yamaha super tenere! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

maddog5150 wrote:
John Smallberries wrote:
Includes:
Dune TI
Trampolines
2-wheel cart

You might have to post a pic of that! :). Then when I get my TI, I can post a pic of it next to my new GS-eating yamaha super tenere! :)

Here is my other toy: 2005 BMW 1200GS. I'd love to see your Yamaha as well. I'm off to Rawhyde Adventure camp this Friday to learn to ride this big pig offroad properly! This shot was taken midway through my "SaddleSore 1000" trip to earn my "Iron Butt Association" membership. 1000 miles in 24 hours for the right to buy a T-shirt! It was a fun mini-adventure. Check out my awesome LED aux lights - like little tiny suns!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John Smallberries wrote:
maddog5150 wrote:
John Smallberries wrote:
Includes:
Dune TI
Trampolines
2-wheel cart

Here is my other toy: 2005 BMW 1200GS. I'd love to see your Yamaha as well. I'm off to Rawhyde Adventure camp this Friday to learn to ride this big pig offroad properly! This shot was taken midway through my "SaddleSore 1000" trip to earn my "Iron Butt Association" membership. 1000 miles in 24 hours for the right to buy a T-shirt! It was a fun mini-adventure. Check out my awesome LED aux lights - like little tiny suns!

That is a sharp looking bike. Here is my new baby. Tandem Island is going to have to wait for the spring.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mad dog
That is a great looking bike! At the risk of converting this to a motorcycle forum, I'll tell you that I am typing this from RawHyde Adventure camp in Castaic, CA. I have spent the last two days learning to ride the GS offroad. It is an amazingly capable offroad bike, even though mine will spend most of it's life on pavement.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A 2012 TI on the Wet Coast of Canada is the same price as it is in most areas of the States: $5500

However, remember the CDN$ is 10,000.00 Canadian Dollars = 10,016.00 US Dollars (current as of 9-11-2011). The catch is that that in BC and Ontario you get hit with a 12% HST tax on any transaction (Harmonized Sales Tax). Other provinces PST plus GST.

However as a US citizen, I believe you can get your tax dollars back at the border (as if that would help?).

Most of the higher prices in other countries are due to obvious freight/import duty costs.

Yet if you are far from any Hobie Factory, I doubt that would make much difference as the container shippers have a stranglehold on container shipping prices (it seems).

The only way I could see any savings (depending on the import laws in your country, is to live abroad and buy a used boat from that country, and ship it on a Tramp Steamer to your Homeport as also a passenger to watch your goods...if there are still any of those ships left).

Btw: I spend a considerable part of the day to look into finding an AI or TI for a good friend in Canada from the WA, OR regions of the US and also Canada.
It was almost a waste of time as I found more wanted ads than actual ads for items for sale. (However, I did find a nice Hobie 16 for around a Grand)

Needless to say, Hobie knows that the Islands are in very high demand, so do not expect a price drop anytime soon, immho.

Regards
Trinomite
(West Coast of Canada)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Smallberries wrote:
maddog5150 wrote:
John Smallberries wrote:
Includes:
Dune TI
Trampolines
2-wheel cart

Hey maddog5150
Lovely Bike!

Here is what I ride as my literal scooter:

http://www.urbanwasp.com/vancouver/brow ... cturerID=1

It was my late wife's bike. I ride it proudly! 8)

Best Regards, buddy
Fred