Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Years Video
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter wrote:
Thanks for that Gil. Yep. We have a lot of National Parks down this way which is a good thing, in the fact that it keeps places clean, tidy and natural, but it also has its down side in that you can’t just camp anywhere. That is the number 1 reason why a few of us have designed our hammocks so that we can sleep onboard a few feet out from shore. That way we are not breaking any laws. Don’t know about the gas stove in a National Park though. I may have to research that one ( or I may have to turn a blind eye, which is a philosophy that has served me well over the years ).

Gas/ liquid fuel stoves are legal in National Parks, except on day's with total fire ban.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Slaughter wrote:
Captn - Thanks and glad you liked it. You should swap your sleeping ideas with Stringy if you're not too keen on the hammock. He's working on the same sort of thing.

I gave up on the idea of sleeping onboard after our 4 day Cowan Creek trip. I had been mucking about with marine ply and slats like Nohuhu's bench seats that could be centred over the hull to make a large camping platform. I couldn't get it right in time so we stealth camped. :wink:
We had howling westerlies that whole trip and where I had planned to moor was very exposed to the wind and whitecaps. It would have made it very unpleasant. In fact you couldn't escape the wind if you were on the water anywhere. We ended putting our bivvy's up in a sheltered overhang.
The hammock is an idea that works on the AI but doubling everything on the TI makes it impractical.
I'd be interested to know how well the hammock handles 20+knots! :)

Maybe try a Clarke Vertex 2 people hammock?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Hollgi that looks to be the best double hammock out there. I like the three attachment points.
What I meant about a double being impractical was more about the supports needed for the weight of two people. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, at least in principle, you could have two hammocks - one between each set of akas, but I think the proposed platform supporting a tent is a much more promising approach for two people.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really like the look of that Clark. It addresses a couple of issues like where to put your boots out of the rain, and the other pockets. I like the air pocket thermal barrier which may be a bit of a sales pitch but could work well by placing insulation into the pockets. And the compression bag. Why doesn't hennessy do that ? Mine hasn't fitted properly in the bag since I first took it out.
:idea: I'm wondering if with a double, you could position it at 90 degrees to the way we do ours. Then come up off all 4 Akas with a PVC 'A' frame both ends and connect the top of the 'A' frame down to the Amas with the tree hugger ( or Ama Hugger ). On 2nd thoughts there may not be the distance between Ama centres ??? Dunno.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.