Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hi all:
when making the video for "getting downside up the TI after flipping", I realizaed that It would be interesting having a harness by hand as a safety equipement. That´s what I did last time when sailing around Gran Canaria island... suddenly, when sailing upwind, I thought of using it to hold myself to the boat; then I thought of doing it to the main sheet; and, finally, I realized that could do it to the sail... That´s what I did: hold myself to the boat and at the same time balance it and use it as a barber hauler to beat closer... maybe, more tries will clarify if it is really like that... Anyway, I had a great sailing time. I feel like a boy with my toy. Here, the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J0NJtJQg1s[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting idea.
I might have to try next time I am out on the TI.
How much extra tension do you get when the wind picks up.

I suppose with a simple clip like that, you can un-clip easily to reef the sail or go about.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers
Geordie

Last edited by Geordie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Geordie

it was easy to un-cleat it, just moving forward a bit from sitting position. Obviously, it depends on how tight you do it.
greetings!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks like a heap of fun and I guess that's what it's all about, but in terms of beating more efficiently, I've found on the AI that if I move my weight way back, it lifts the bow and the boat feels like it's flying through the water, but it causes a lot of side-slip, so the boat is not pointing as high as usual and my progress upwind is actually slower.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And now we have yet another way to fly the TI - STANDING UP! Normally, very hard to do. Not for Eduardo. :twisted:

It's probably the closest we will ever get to "flying a trapeze" with our boats. Looks like real fun.

Judging by the look of the sail in the video, I worry that it may not last long like this. The load is mostly along the foot, which is the weakest and least flexible part. If Ed can spread his weight throughout the sail and maintain the sail shape, it should work even better.

Maybe time for a Hobie Harness? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or fit hiking straps and dust off the old abs.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
That looks like a heap of fun and I guess that's what it's all about, but in terms of beating more efficiently, I've found on the AI that if I move my weight way back, it lifts the bow and the boat feels like it's flying through the water, but it causes a lot of side-slip, so the boat is not pointing as high as usual and my progress upwind is actually slower.

I've found very interesting sailing the TI from back seat just becouse oF that... And when I did the xtreme2 vid, I Was like flying next to my coleagues. true, it Was side-slipping more, but beating closer and even faster Than other TI with two people and another AI. In fact, the AI owner decided that day to sell it :) (it is sold already) and he is waiting for his TI. but, obviously, it is a longer boat and less weight... when hooking myself I Was beating closer too, but again I was sailing solo and there were two people on the other TI... it's a matter oF trying more and on similar conditions. Soon the 4th. TI is arriving and We are planning some racing we'll have time to consider and test all these issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
And now we have yet another way to fly the TI - STANDING UP! Normally, very hard to do. Not for Eduardo. :twisted:

It's probably the closest we will ever get to "flying a trapeze" with our boats. Looks like real fun.

Judging by the look of the sail in the video, I worry that it may not last long like this. The load is mostly along the foot, which is the weakest and least flexible part. If Ed can spread his weight throughout the sail and maintain the sail shape, it should work even better.

Maybe time for a Hobie Harness? :wink:

I can tell it Was real fun!
I know it is a flexible part, but on that wind strenght I never had the sensation oF pulling down the mast. It Was Great! But if wind is too strong, I'm not quite sure about how good or effective would be...
Thanks very much for the comments!