Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've sailed my Revolution a couple times now. Once with the Hobie Ama Sidekick kit and once with my own outriggers (modeled sort of after what is offered on the AI). It was a blast but I'm not getting the speed I want. The thing is, other than spring time, most of our normal daily windspeeds on the inland lakes where I live is only going to be about 5 to 10 MPH. If I want to sail around here, I need to come up with something different.

I thought about having a larger sail made for the Revolution but I suspect that the hull is only going to be "seaworthy" safe with a certain size and I don't want to exceed that. Maybe I can do more with it (I'll soon find out) but I'm well aware this thing can only handle so much.

So, I'm on the tightrope about pulling the trigger on an Adventure Island (one more beer and one more AI youtube video is probably going to do it). It offers a lot more sail area and I'm guessing it would allow me to capture more wind and therefore more speed, on our less windy summer days. What's it like sailing an Adventure island in winds of less than 10 MPH?

I now know why people get so involved with sailing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's slow going in winds less than 10mph. some guys add a jib, some make a boom.
http://www.tropicalboating.com/sailing/adventure-island-jib.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Tom,
I just swapped my outfitter with the small sail kit for an AI this past week. Unfortunately the winds here haven't gotten over 10 all week. The difference between the 2 boats however is like night and day. It was the best decision I've made in quite a while. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had hoped to be on the water this week - winds have been steady at 8 to 12 MPH. But the dealer forgot to ship one of the boxes my trailer came in, so I'm stuck until Tuesday with no axle, tires or wheels. Bummer.

The stuff on the jib was interesting. I've also seen a quick vid of the "port a boom" that I may consider. Just more stuff to play with.