Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I've been toying around with the idea of creating a separate community site for Hobie Island enthusiasts. The core of the site would be a forum much like this one but with a few modern updates (easy photo uploads, auto-handling YouTube links, real-time preview, etc... got a particular system in mind). In addition, it could provide a platform to emphasize and catalog mods and other helpful information currently only found by dredging the internet and this forum.

Now, this forum is actually great, and I'm glad Hobie is hosting it. However, I think there's enough of a vibrant community centered around the Islands to possibly branch off. Maybe even get some of the silent majority in on the conversation! But, I wanted to get input from others here. If anyone uses it, it'll be folks like you. :) If this forum feels like enough, I won't worry too much about it.

As a software developer for an outdoorsy social network, this sort of thing is in my wheelhouse. However, I want to get a good pulse on the existing community before just grabbing the proverbial hammer and building stuff. :) Let me know what you think!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 2 cents... While the concept is admirable, the biggest danger is fragmenting the information. At present, I can go to this forum, and pretty well be up to date with whatever is happening in the "Island world". Hobie Australasia also has its own forum (looks very similar to this one), and I find that about half of all topics were started by me, as I have attempted to build up the momentum of my local forum, but there just isn't the traffic.

I fear that you would have similar difficulties. But go for it if you are still keen!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A yr or 2 ago, it was suggested that Hobie should split this forum into AI and TI. There is a lot of use duplicity between AI & TI. To have separate in 2 forums would be very inconvenient. It seemed only the originator was for that. The virtue of this forum for Hobie Islands is that it keeps most things in one place. It can be searched reasonably. I assume you have looked at all the sub forums--it is a pretty good collection including "clubs" that Hobie promotes as a more local draw--some are used regularly, many are used only minimally. Personally, I don't sense a strong need for another "Enthusiast's" forum--the danger would be fragmentation of information.

The beauty of this Hobie forum--they have a vested interest--is its stability. There are some long-running threads, of which mine (mainly camping) is probably the longest, but there is NOHUHU's Haka thread, Fusioneng's experimenting with engines, wing sails, and jibs, Slaughter's photo competition. An "Enthusiast's" forum may be here only as long as you maintain it.

As Tony says, you can give it a try. It is your business.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys are right. There's a lot here, and not a big case for alternatives. Keith, your signature quote is quite applicable. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bicx has brought up some interesting thoughts. I've thought, why not a thread about AI/TI users in S FL. I never see anyone here. There are these "Meetup" sites--one in Jacksonville, FL, for example. There is also a "Club" covering Tampa, FL, and north. This Club uses Facebook--I'm moderately challenged on Facebook. My point about these non-Hobie sites, is that I have to pull them up to look at them. If there is nothing going on, I've wasted my time (so, I rarely look at them.) That is what is nice about this Hobie site--everything is here, AND, any post shows up on the opening page and stays there awhile. I don't look anywhere else for Hobie Island posts.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the success of a forum comes from numbers. I've been the member of a number of different forums over the years and the main reason that I gave them 'the flick' was that a question could take a week to get a response. This forum has the beauty of numbers giving different views and quick replays to questions. But these flesh views and ideas from the young guns like yourself bicx, could be worth pursuing. They say that if you have a good product, the customers will follow.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.