Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got home after our maiden voyage on our new 2015 TI. I thought I would give my insight from a new Hobie owner and brand new sailor. Never sailed a day in my life.

I have been reading this forum for a while and have taken in all the different ideas and advice. With the help of all of you, my day was a success and I had a blast. My wife did to! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We started off today at Lake Anna VA at the State park. I live about an hour away. I bought the standard Hobie Trailex trailer. I made sure I had the tires at 60 PSI as stated and it pulled fine at 60 mph. I have a big truck so, I didn't even know it was back there. Project 1 - Need to figure out a way to put a flag or something on the trailer, so I can see it backing up. I used my Safety flag and it worked pretty good.

They have a nice facility and since it was a Thursday, it was not that much traffic on the lake. I bought the TI with the Hobie trailer. I backed it up and unloaded it in the water. With the rubber on the cradles, it was sort of hard to push it off. I didn't want to back into the water, so I had the wheels at the waters edge.
Lesson/Project 2 - I need to put carpet on the cradles to make it easy to push the T1 off and bring it back on. The boat is heavy. I also learned to take the Mirage drives off the boat and as much weight out of the TI before trying to reload it on the trailer. My wife helped to pull it back onto the trailer. I bought the beach cart and almost got it out to try, but unloading the extra weight made it ok.

It was perfect weather with sunny in the low 70's. Wind was very very light at about 3-4 knots. Not really an ideal day for sailing, but since it was my first time I am glad it was not that windy. Water was a nice 72 degrees.

After getting the TI in the water, we got used to pedaling and adjusting the pedals, so they were comfortable. I also got used to the rudder and had my wife steer some too. I sat up front since that is where most of the controls are. My wife sat in the back and I made sure I yelled tack when we turned so she wouldn't get hit by the rope. Project 3 - need to build a riser in the back so she and I won't get hit. I plan on moving to the back as soon as I can.

We pedaled around and sailed some. The wind was very light, so it was hard sailing, but we got up some speed at times when we did have wind. Again, I was glad it was light, because I was still trying to figure things out.

I don't remember the thread, but I do remember the Mr. C for returning to shore/dock. Pick up the Mirage, Rudder and Center Board. Getting old, I remembered half the time! :D

Project 4 - Need to figure out how to get some music. My wife kept on saying she wished she had a Corona and some Caribbean music. If that makes her happy, that will be project number 1. :lol:

All and all, I had a great day. I can't wait to get back out and use it and my wife was also excited. You have to keep in mind that I talked her into buying the TI without doing a demo and she seemed to really like it. We are heading down to North Carolina in a few weeks around the Beaufort area for a week. I plan on taking it with us and we have a place on the water. Will try and post some pictures that my wife took. I also need to get a GoPro, so I can get some action pictures.

For any of you that are thinking about getting one, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will not regret it!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations Ron, your on your way. My girlfriend loves it also, especially when she can get some sun where it don't shine, out on the tramps.
I'll help you with the music one. Just strap this Sangean 201 (waterproof radio) to the front aka. Works great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I3 ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Mark, I will check out that radio. I also forgot to mention wanting the tramps. I could tell today that I needed some extra space to put things. Unfortunately, I am above the weight limit, but my wife could enjoy them as well I could use them for putting things on.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

check out the fugoo speakers they are waterproof and hobie makes a h-rail mount for them

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats! Sounds like you guys had a successful outing. I've been kicking the music thing around for a bit as well. Looking at a Scosche.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I3YF4VA/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_2_7?colid=2IKUB0W6XRFVE&coliid=I1U0RU4K1L2YCT

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad you had fun, sounds a lot like my first trip out with my girlfriend 2 weeks ago. I have the same problem with the girlfriend in the back getting hit by the lines. I am in the process of building a roll bar that will keep them up and out of her hair. You definitely need the tramps, lots of extra room and I had no problem at 250lbs lounging on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

riverron, you sound like me last August when I bought mine (and I still feel the same way).
When you get a good 5-10 mph wind and get it trimmed out, you will truly fall in love. I too, had never sailed before.
I've had several different boats, from 27' cabin cruiser to center console to outboard fishing boat. I've never had a boat I enjoyed more with less maintenance that my TI.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fabulous !
My wife loved our boat first time out.

I have the Ecoxgear Ecostone bluetooth speaker and love it. I end up using it around the house a lot in addition to the boat.

https://ecoxgear.com/ecostone/

Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Buckaroo wrote:
Fabulous !
My wife loved our boat first time out.

I have the Ecoxgear Ecostone bluetooth speaker and love it. I end up using it around the house a lot in addition to the boat.

https://ecoxgear.com/ecostone/

Chris

I looked at that speaker. If you've tried it while sailing, is it loud enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Music with headphones while sailing would bug me. I need (everybody) needs to listen to your surroundings while on the water... for safety and serenity.

I tried it once... a speaker would be the next best thing though.

Fugoo makes an awesome one that is waterproof and sounds awesome!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Fugoo is a little out of my price range. I'm going to look at that Ecoxgear that Buckaroo recommended.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes the Ecoxgear has plenty of volume, there's a passive sub on the back side and a pair of drivers for L&R on the front.
As much as I like the quiet also, I have used it a lot at low volume early in the morning while pedaling out into the lake. Sometimes it's really nice to have the music to pedal to.
I always turn it down or off when around other boaters. At least until the party boats come out and drown out all other sound on the lake.
It pairs flawlessly with my iPhone.
If you open the waterproof connector cover you can plug in a 3.5mm audio source or charge your smartphone via a USB connector.
It's also a bluetooth phone speaker/microphone.

I think it's a great product.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,
This was a great post for me today . I had plan on purchasing my TI early this spring . A Long story short . I injured my back in January and after 4 steroid injections and a recent nerve block procedure have come back to some normalcy in my life . It will be several months before I will be able to consider placing that order , but your post has reassured me of my goal of owning a Hobie TI .
I grew up sailing Hobie Cats . We owned the 14 ,16' and the 18 . Also, I've been fishing and kayaking for many years here in South Texas . I love inter-coastal kayak fishing but have always wanted to fish off shore from my kayak . But, for obvious safety issues have been reluctant to venture out in a small kayak. I am happy for y-all in experiencing the joy of sailing and kayaking . Have fun and be safe . And please continue post on this website so others can learn from your Hobie TI adventure .

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone for all the options for music. I will take a look at them to see what works for me.

RJ,
Thanks for the kind words. I will try to post my experiences. I agree it is nice to hear what other people do! There are some knowledgeable people on this forum that you and I can learn a lot from.

I just had some back issues myself, which was one of the reasons I purchased the TI. I will say the boat is heavy and definitely to get a trailer. The seats are great. I sat in them all afternoon and was very comfortable. I was busy trying to learn the boat and didn't get much time to play around with the different positions.

I am going out tomorrow, so we will see what that brings. Can't wait!!

Thanks
Ron