Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dougDNer wrote:
Hello--- Lots of good advice above. My girlfriend, who happens to be my wife, and I are the same weight as you and your girlfriend. Yesterday she and I sailed quite comfortably and enjoyably on our 07 AI. This is how we do it. I built a Haka bench inspired by Nohuhu similar to the photo he posted in his previous posting. I added a fold down backrest which is supported by a hinged, folding support. The bench seat Haka is bungied to the akas ---a stainless eye bolt at each corner facing down make this easy. For comfort we add a self inflating Thermorest camping mattress. It is wonderful going out this way exploring beaches and sharing the experience. (Prior to having a Haka my wife would sit in front of me on the 8 inch black hatch and lean back on me. Not very comfortable for either of us but we could sail this way-I don't recommend it.) Now the down side. With two people on my AI, it sails noticeably slower. Yesterday in a 12 knot breeze we moved along several times at five MPH on a reach however. In the same conditions by myself I go 6 or 7 MPH. Also the boat sits much lower in the water with a passenger which will cause your seat-well to to fill with water anytime the waves are one foot high. Your passenger on the Haka will stay dry however until the waves approach a foot and a half. So if you are sailing in sheltered bays or harbors and know what the weather is bringing you will have a great time. Always wear your PFD's and if possible a waterproof cell phone is a good idea. Good luck

Thank you for your reply. Finally, I built two wooden haka benches inspired by Densails [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMYr2YWU5SE[/youtube] which I will try this weekend. So I will report back. I mostly sail at sea not for from shore with small waves and winds around 15 knots. This will be my first try with two passengers and haka benches. The first try where my girlfriend was seating in the back area with 20 knots wind and larger waves ended with the broken rudder mentioned above. So you built a quarterdeck?? I will try the two haka benches and maybe I will build one same as yours. Can you attach any photos???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello, Well that was one of the best videos I've ever seen. Your hakas look similar to mine. You might want to attach a folding back rest and some padding like a camp mattress for comfort. The mattress also comes in handy when you get to a beach. I have not built a quarter deck and one of these days I'll get around to figuring how to post photos. Another great thing about the hakas is you can attach a crate to carry all kinds of extra stuff--and it can be right at your fingertips. Another mod that I strongly recommend is doubling up on the ama to aka bungies. (There is a post about this--Tom Kirkman? ) At least on the forward ama bungies. It is a pain in the neck to do but if you find yourself in big seas your amas will pull down from the akas when cresting the tops of waves which is a very insecure feeling. Another mod, that is quite simple, is adding the strap to hold the dagger board when not in use. You can see what I am talking about on K-Bob's website. I have his spray skirts and really like them. Well enjoy your adventures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice hakas and video! You seem to be getting it all together nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi again. Lol. At the video I posted with the hakas its not me. Its the guy I copied the hakas. He sent me all the info I needed. Sorry if I confused you but my English are not great. I am going to test mine on Saturday. I will attach a sand pad (photo attached) for more comfort which I think will get the job done. Hope everything goes as planned. Thank you all for your advises. Hope to post my video soon enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DougDNer,
We would all be interested in a pic of your haka back support.

I have been considering putting back support on a haka by using a Hobie kayak seat. With the new twist loc connector, moving them around is pretty simple.
One could bore a pair of holes in the haka, and insert into them of Hobies screw-in twist-loc receiver (part 81275001, about $1.50) Image
Using the cheapo tap made from a bolt* I used when I retrofit my boats for the twist loc seat posts, I could also tap a hole of the proper size in the wood haka that I'm sure would hold the seat securely. Then, two padeyes located on the edge of the haka could hold the side straps of the seat, for adjustable comfort of super-passengers. :P
* See Stringy's post http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40645&start=15#p187100 ( a 3/4 inch 10 TPI bolt is the proper size, though Stringy's metric version is very close)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Beebrain, I haven't figured out how to post pictures so I'll try to explain the haka back rest. I used a half inch piece of plywood. I made it 12 inches wide and 14'' tall. I rounded the top. Then, using two 3 inch galvanized T hinges I attached it to the haka. But first I used a triangular piece of half inch plywood which I also attached with T hinges to the backside of the seatback. (had to use a grinder where the screws came through the front side.) It folds out and away pretty much like the photo frames that people use to display pictures on their desks. So then I noticed because of the hinges and the fold out support, the backrest would not lay flat. So then I took a 12" piece of cedar 2X6, screwed it perpendicular, flat to the haka so the top of the seat back would nest into it. I traced the curved shape of the top onto the 2X6 first and chiseled out the curved top shape. So when not in use the seatback lays recessed and almost flat. Whew! Been easier to learn how to post photos. Worth a thousand words. Anyway, hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

beebrain wrote:
I could also tap a hole of the proper size in the wood haka that I'm sure would hold the seat securely.

If you do this, soak the threaded wood with Cyanoacrylate glue - I don't advise the brand "Crazy Glue" but recommend you visit a hobby store that is active in selling remote control airplanes. These glues have a shelf life and are best used within 6 mo. of manufacture - a hobby shop has considerable turnover of their product.

... here is the dealer locator page of the glue I prefer - Bob Smith Industries

http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/hdealer/index.html

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The purpose of the cyanoacrylate being mostly to seal the wood from water intrusion, or to adhere the screw-in receiver, PW?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

beebrain wrote:
The purpose of the cyanoacrylate being mostly to seal the wood from water intrusion

yes, but moreso to make the threads solid so they will take the compression force as you screw the plug in .. as opposed to deforming/crushing and losing the edge of the thread as wood is prone to do when snugging down.

At the hobby shops they sell the CA in three grades of thickness - I'd use the thinnest and wick it into the threads enough to cover them but not soaking wet. The thin CA runs like water so be prepared for it to run out the bottom working over cardboard with a rag handy for overage (not paper towels as they'll set instantly to the glue and leave you with a mess). If you think Crazy Glue is sticky - wait until you see what a good CA is like.

Let it dry, then chase the threaded rod through the hole and do it all again if needed. It'll make the wood threads super strong.

Quote:
.. or to adhere the screw-in receiver, PW?

no, not advising CA to glue the insert in - for that I'd use something like Goop. Personally I'd leave it alone as I think the screw force should be sufficient and it renders it removable. If I later determined it was prone to backing out I'd glue it

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

dougDNer wrote:
Hi Beebrain, I haven't figured out how to post pictures so I'll try to explain the haka back rest.............. Whew! Been easier to learn how to post photos. Worth a thousand words. Anyway, hope that helps.
dougDNer - I had the same trouble trying to figure out how to post photos etc until some patient and kind members helped me out. There are instructions on how to do everything here but just not easy to find. Go to the top of the forum page and you will see a little FAQ icon - click that and all the instructions are there - if you cannot see it click this link faq.php I'm looking forward to seeing your photos too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DDN--I recently posted "how" to post pictures. Here it is again.

• You must store your photos on a site such as Photobucket http://s239.photobucket.com/ PB is free up to a fairly generous storage limit.
    • Upload your pictures onto PB.
    • Slide your pointer over a photo and you will see a "gear" icon appear in the upper right corner.
    • Slide your pointer over the gear icon and a menu will appear.
    • From the menu, pick off "links" with your left pointer button.
    • A window will appear with 4 url options. Click the "Direct" link with your left pointer button--momentarily a "copied" appears. You have now copied the link.
    • Paste the link into your Hobie forum post.
    • When it is pasted into your post, highlight it, and click on the "Img" button above to complete the job. When your post is previewed or submitted, your Photobucket picture will appear in your post.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all. I am facing one more major problem. I finally got my new twist and stow rudder after the last one which broke. I managed to install it succesfully at first. But after performing some up and down movements of the rudder, the main large bolt that inserts at the center of the drum and binds the two pieces of the rudder together, came loose. I tighten it again but after the first two up and down movements it came loose again. So what is the problem now? Should I use glue or something so as to hold the bolt in place? Thank you in advance for your replies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just one warning about adding Tandem Island Amas to the AI. It CAN (not always) create hull stress and cross bar stress that the AI was not built for.
Some say this is the solution for heavy winds but I cannot disagree more. THAT is when the big stress happens.
I tried it for giggles and went back to stock.
If you can stay under or at the weight limit you wont have an issue. And Hobie under rates the weight limit, as they should

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

slygizos wrote:
Hi all. I am facing one more major problem. I finally got my new twist and stow rudder after the last one which broke. I managed to install it succesfully at first. But after performing some up and down movements of the rudder, the main large bolt that inserts at the center of the drum and binds the two pieces of the rudder together, came loose. I tighten it again but after the first two up and down movements it came loose again. So what is the problem now? Should I use glue or something so as to hold the bolt in place? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Try Loc-Tight RED...just do not over tighten the bolt so there is enough play to move.

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy