Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I are going to John pennenkamp state park for Thanksgiving week and we planned on bringing along our TI. I'm looking for some local knowledge as to some nice areas to sail around the area. Id love to combine some snorkeling and sailing if possible. I've read that sailing out to the main reefs are a bit far but I've heard certain small keys have interesting snorkeling around them. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry saw this post a little late to be any help. We have done two snorkeling trips in the keys so far one in john pennekamp we where not real impressed :( reef was pretty much dead didnt see a whole lot and weather was not great that day. Second was eastern dry rocks out of key west was alot better reef was in alot better shape, tons of fish and nice and clear water. Next I want to check out sombrero reef off of Marthon. I would be interested to hear about your trip and any good spots you found we love the keys and try to make a couple trips a year to the keys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We ended up leaving the boat at home. It was pretty cold and blustery all week. We'll try again another time. I think we will try for sombrero reef. It's in plain site off sombrero beach.