Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SuperTramp (Henry Ovares), with his Tandem Island, started the 2015 EC on the beach at Ft Desoto. Here is his trip report.

Supertramp wrote:

Just got back to Miami after a very interesting encounter with Mother Nature over a period of 2 days. I found out that the race was being called by another WaterTriber about 2 hours from Stump Pass. Before that I had seen the red Coast Guard Helicopter over my head 3 times. The Tampa bay crossing was the fastest speed the boat achieved all day and was done with the full sail out. The most shocking thing was out of nowhere a sand island popped out and all the boats around me where trying to determine the best way to go around this obstruction. I saw some other boats hugging the Ana Maria Passage and followed them out offshore. Turning to the south the big cats were right in front of me with the Hobie Getaway right next to me. It was a sleigh ride all the way to Stump Pass. After going through the Pass with another T.I next to me we got into a tacking duel all the way to the Cape Haze entrance. I got in CP 1 at around 4:15 and got pulled over to a dock and was told about the Race being called off

I was in good spirits, the boat was performing great and took off to Gasparilla Pass to go offshore again. Went through the pass on a fast outgoing tide in the dark and somewhere in the passage ran into 100 yards of washing machine waves. I held on, and made landfall at the northern tip of Cayo Costa at around 10:00 pm. I woke up and launched again offshore heading south to Sanibel at about noon I hit a wall of wind at my face. Tacking all the time I was not making much progress. It took me the rest of the day just to make it to the Lighthouse on Sanibel at sunset. I spent the night on a beach next to the Big Bridge on Sanibel, I was exhausted. In the morning I turned on the radio to hear small craft warning in the area and the winds were gusting to 20 kts still a head wind.

I decided to call it a day and got picked up later in the morning. I have no doubt in my mind that if the winds were favorable I would have kept on going to Chokoloskee my original plan. But hearing all the other stories I think I made the best decision.

Special thanks, to Brendon Castile from Hobie for sending me a replacement crossbar 10 days before the race.

And a special shout out to Nancy and Keith (Chekika) for a great dinner before the Race and Royd W. for helping me get the boat in the pole position, in the weeds at the extreme north end of the beach.

Happy Trails, ST

SuperTramp on right being inspected by Iszatarock. He is showing Iszatarock his tool kit.

Map of EC from Start at Ft Desoto down to Cayo Costa where Henry camped on night 1.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Weta of Florida has edited their Facebook post to delete references to Islands in his "rescued" report. Thanks Tom for the heads up on that one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We started 30 minutes late and did not see any Hobies with issues, at check point 1 we saw at least 10 with more on the radar that were on the way.
Here is a short video of us leaving Tampa Bay on our 2015 TI, this was our second outing on boat and have a few comparisons to make from our 2013.
Double Bungie - great, aka did not move at all. Pedals - Smoother than V2, could not compare if faster due to conditions. Reversed Bow - I like it, looks good and when submerged in waves it does not seam to grab or slow boat down, keep in mind as seen in video I use a barber hauler attached to rear of aka which also brings the front down when there is breeze like this, the only way to reduce is ease the sheet which brings it right back up. It is hard to tell if boat is much faster in rough water but I will say that we were passing the other Hobies in rough water pretty quick. Keep in mind some are solo or on a different time line than others so I do not judge. NEW SEATS - They are what they are. Awesome. I had dinner with Jim at Hobie at check point one and he told me of some of the issues with prototypes and they have done a great job with working them all out prior to production.
I am going to start video, photo and story compilation for all Hobies on the Water Tribe Forum in hope to get more on the starting line for next year.
This is my third Watertribe Event and I think the Hobies are one of the best and safest off the shelf boats for events like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXT5kFbqEDY

PedalOn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice video. The beginning was hilarious. Thanks for posting.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was there and I saw only one Weta, and a LOT of Hobie Islands. I think there were something like 29 Hobie Islands (AI + TI) on the beach. That is over 20% of the entire fleet, and yet I only heard indirectly of one Hobie Island incident. You all would actually have been proud to see all the Hobie Islands mixing it up with the big cats all the way out through Passage Key Inlet. As I sailed thorugh that knarly section I looked around me and saw no less than 5 Hobies in the area. They did more than survive the bay, they owned the bay. It was a crazy fun ride.

Chumbucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The most surprising thing I saw after the EC2015

A friend of mine, Bryan Tindell, has completed a number of Everglades Challenges, so, this year when I saw him on the beach at the start it did not surprise me. Bryan…

I didn’t study that picture closely at first, but, I thought, “Bryan has a new boat.” Previously, Bryan used a 2007-2008 vintage AI. Here, he has the new vertical rudder, 2011 or later. But look closely. He has his old “pinned” akas. Surprise! He has a newer hull, but his old AI hardware. Therein lies the punchline. This is the email he sent to me after the EC2015 was cancelled (the red emphasis is mine.)

Hi Keith,

This is Bryan Tindell (AhMaChamee). I was with Dan Bond (Island Hopper) who was also in an AI. We made the run down to Indian pass last night with intentions to continue on. However, I got all my messages while at Everglades City today and must return home. Island Hopper is also stopping at Everglades city. We had many great runs the last two and a half days!

On a technical note I sheared my aka while sailing hard with a jib. I was able to lash it back together pretty quickly and get back to sailing. Lashed "Polynesian" style like that it ended up riding the surface more instead of plunging or flying. Island Hopper thought it made me faster because he started having more trouble keeping up with me after the repair. The repair worked well through all sorts of heavy weather and fast sailing!

Cheers,

Ahmachamee

At my request, Bryan sent these pictures of the aka that sheared.

This is IslandHopper (aka Dan Bond).

AhMaChamee (Bryan) and IslandHopper had a great EC down to Everglades City (Chokoloskee, Checkpoint 2) where they bagged it and headed home.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not unusual to me. I have the same setup and love it. (A little duct tape will fix that).

What surprised me was the jib. I don't understand why he would deploy it in those conditions, but would love to see the red sail and jib flying over that yellow replacement hull.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, everybody likes to go as fast as they can, even if they don't think they are in a race. As one person said, it is a "challenge" and some people get to the finish faster than others.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heres another couple views of the launch. I guess if you can fly a drone, you can fly a jib,..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, those are excellent videos, NOHUHU.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SuperTramp (Henry Ovares) follow up

Quote:
Supertramp wrote:
Having had some time to come down from the adrenaline rush that the Challenge can throw at you. The most relevant experience that I came away with is this. This 300 mile race is much more dangerous than it appears. I made it all the way to Sanibel island by late Sunday afternoon and by then the wind had shifted south and I hit a wall. After having reached CP1 by around 4:15 pm in a broad reach sleigh ride all the way down the coast. It took me 7 or 8 hr of tacking to go down the coast of Sanibel and Captiva. But real danger is running at night inside the ICW and outside. I ran aground in a shoal in the north side of Bird Key without even seeing it. Also hugging the shore at night crossing passages can be a little unsettling. In Boca Grande Pass there are pilings that run perpendicular to the shoreline that I narrowly avoided at night. I had never sailed at night before this race. If you are thinking about doing this race, I would practice sailing at night first and then do the UM first to get a perspective and oh, yea, the distances are staggering. (originally posted on the WT forum)

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Jim Czarnowski "Penguinman" sailed into Key Largo late last night. He says the new AI performed flawlessly.

Large bow / hull, cockpit stays drier, longer amas. He mentioned a squal near the end that was blowing in the 20's and gusts over 25... full sail...no problem and screaming! Says there were a lot of headwinds. Spent one day on an island waiting for rough conditions to settle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I had never sailed at night before this race.

OMG... yeah. You need to get that down prior to heading out on a trip like this. Sailing, navigation and vision at night are a totally different thing than during the daytime. Years ago I knew a guy, with little boating experience, who took a small power boat out on Mission Bay in San Diego one night. He headed out the channel into the ocean and when he turned around... had NO idea where the channel was with all of the background lights. He spent a sleepless night out there drifting in... motoring out....until daylight.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's for sure.... being out at night can be a learning experience. One time we launched down in the keys for a day sail, we got held up (yes we went way too far out) and didn't get back until way after dark, fortunately our TI is equipped with full nav lights (though we never use them much). We couldn't find our launch site or our car, we ended up using the brail method and the car remote to find our way beck to the launch (really embarrassing). Ever since then I always press the point marker on my GPS as I'm pulling out. At night going down the Florida inter coastal via the brail method, you tend to run aground a lot.
It's embarrassing that we also did the same thing in broad daylight (couldn't find our launch site), we launched from a different place from normal (from some marina off a canal off Sarasota bay that I hadn't been to before, and when we pulled away we didn't pay attention to where we came out. It took us quite a while to find the right channels and canals to find our way back, also did exactly the same thing in Key Largo (in the daytime LOL).
Hats off to those guys running thru the Glades (day or night).
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:43 am 
Site Admin

You really have to turn around and LOOK at were you came from as you go along. It is a learned skill.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next