Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is anyone else here planning to take part in the Miami to Key Largo race next weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never heard of it. What is the link? For a few years, a group kayaked MIA to Key West to raise money for a cause.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is sponsored by the Miami Yacht Club and takes place every year. This is the 60th race. It is well supported and organized, the MYC sponsors races all year long and has a large youth sailing program. They host Olympic trials and I have been on the race committee for some fairly large events. When you see windsurfers with Japanese sail numbers and inflatable coach boats with Greek registration numbers it is a big deal. The point being, this club knows how to put on a race.

The course runs from Key Biscayne, right around marker 69 to Barnes Sound (just before the channel that takes you under the US1 overpass). Then there is a party at Anchorage and Gilbert's. 40 miles assuming no tacking.

Registration is at yachtscoring.com

I am a member of the MYC (based off Watson Island by the way) and the past commodore was receptive to the idea of starting a hobie island club out of the MYC. If we can get enough island owners to race enough times, the club can submit the data to US Sailing and the possibility of creating a Portsmouth Yardstick rating is there.

As of now I am the only crazy person entered for this race in a tandem island. But I plan to do more races and events.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Miami Island club is hosting an event in conjuction with the Miami Key Largo - sailing Islands out to Stiltsville an back. Here's their flyer on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/events/850855621638298/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's odd. I did not hear anything about that through my club. And it is the same day as the longer miami to key largo race. When I asked about entering the island the commodore did say he talked to the dealer for south east florida and they loved the idea of a shorter course race, so I guess that happened. Great!

But I am already signed up for the longer race. Also I have a room in Key Largo. So no backing out now :D

More events would be great though.