Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom:
Yea thats what I do too, I have an extra set of American made 12 inch Carslyle tires that I put on when we go down to Key West (350 miles each way) from our other place. But locally I use the 8 inch tires (easier to load the boat for me with the lower trailer). I usually re-pack my bearings at the same time. I usually inflate my tires to about ten lbs under the pressure recommended on the sidewall.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Buckaroo is correct. Passenger car tires are rated much differently. Handling is of concern with a car tire. Having a trailer follow correctly is of major concern with a trailer. At 20 lbs, any side load (road conditions, cross wind) could unseat the tire causing a failure. Trailer manufacturers are required by law to place a placard stating tire pressures, axle capacity and maximum payload. If that placard states 20lbs, then I'd love to know where they get their data from. I'd consider that unsafe and would never allow a placard to be placed on our trailers less than the maximum. Yes, you may get premature wear, but that is noticeable. I'd rather replace a worn out tire in my garage than try to replace one on I95 during rush hour. Also, Buckaroo made a good point concerning the DOT numbers on the sidewall. This date code lets you know how old the tires are. What appears new could be old. UV and ozone kills rubber - just sitting still. I'm looking forward to what Matt finds out. Regardless though, I'm keeping my pressure on max.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's confusing because the ideal pressure is specific to the tire. Just a glance at 8" tires made by Kenda on etrailer.com
shows sidewall inflation pressures from 60 to 100 psi in load ranges B,C,D representing carrying weights of 590 to 1075 lbs.
Trailex probably uses a B tire that calls for lower pressures that may be 35-60 psi. Just read the sidewall and go by that since Trailex doesn't make the tires and may change vendors over time.
The stiffness of the ride on a trailer is the job of the suspension as others have said.

Another benefit to using the correct sidewall pressure is that I don't feel like I have to check my tires every week. I know tires will leak down over time and I have certainly run my 90 psi tires at 60 psi for the short distance to our nearby lake just because I was too lazy to put more air in them.
I know 60 isn't the correct pressure for best tire wear and performance but it's a safer pressure to run my tires at than if I had started at 60 and leaked down to say 45. Under inflation being about the most dangerous thing for a tire.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Just confirmed with Trailex (building trailers since the 1960s / experience).

They state the recommended pressure on the (sticker or manual) that is related to the trailer weight and expected load. Since Trailex trailers are light weight with light loads... Higher pressure will cause the tire to bounce. This is damaging to the trailer and the load.

Pretty generic, but this is a guide on their site for Tire care.

https://www.trailex.com/Instructional%20Sheets/Tire%20Safety%20Information.pdf

Quote:
Maximum permissible inflation pressure
The maximum cold inflation pressure to which a tire may be inflated.

Quote:
Recommended inflation pressure
This is the inflation pressure provided by the vehicle manufacturer on the Tire Information label and on the
Certification / VIN tag.

I also have been trailering boats since the mid 70's and never have inflated trailer tires to the Maximum tire pressure.

Logically "Maximum" is just that. Maximum load on the tire requires maximum pressure. Maximum load is maximum capacity of the two tires combined. Actual load is far less typically. Especially with a light weight aluminum trailer and a light weight water craft.

I again defer to Trailex.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had 5 trailers (3 trailex trailers), starting with a Hobie 14, then a '16 loaded with coffin box, beach wheels, etc. then a Playcat (same load), Wave (same load), and now a TI.

Average round trip tow distance 700-1500 miles. With the std. 8" tires, never inflated the tires above 50 psi......sometimes lower. The first two trailers were steel, i.e., heavier total load. Trailer(s) would typically sit in the hot Florida sun - on the sand - for 1 to 3 wks also.

Only once did I have a tire tread separate, most likely from heat age, while on the road.

bill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FWIW, I ended up inflating the stock tires to 30 psi (cold) and then pulled the covered trailer and TI about 1150 miles starting at noon and then running overnight. Average speed about 70 mph. The trailer handled beautifully - very stable and it handled uneven pavement, drops, and potholes with no issues. I monitored tire and bearing heat by feel, putting my hands on the spindle ends, tire sidewalls and treads to make sure nothing got too hot. Yes, the tires were warm but no warmer than the tires on my van.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I guess I learned something. Never too old or experienced to stand corrected. I do know aluminum trailers are subject to stress cracks due to vibration, maybe that's why they balance the tires at the factory where we build aluminum trailers and I never have at the factory where we build steel trailers. Thanks for finding that out Matt. You da man... again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was compelled to ride over to Trailex in Canfield, Ohio, when I got back to SW Pa last week; I "needed" a winch post and winch before our first launch the next day but really wanted to take a ride on my NT (it was a beautiful day) and go see their shop. I figured that they're a mom and pop shop and it would be fun.

Was I WRONG!! Fun? yes. Cordial? absolutely! (Ken Montgomery took time to show me around. Thanks, Ken.) They are no mom and pop, however - they employ 800 people or so all in with their sister companies and have a degree of vertical integration in producing their own aluminum extrusions. Their product line is extensive as well, running from my small SUT 350 up through car and toy haulers and then on to the specialized LED trailers that one sees at concerts and sporting events.

This entire area is filled with skilled people who are used to making things. Lots of technical expertise. I have newfound respect for Trailex and can understand why they and Hobie have a business relationship. Both are really first rate.