Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am looking for a standard to measure my technique against.

Even in my current state of incompetance, I can stay with the American 14.6 daysailors they rent at the local lake, no problem.
viz http://www.boats.com/reviews/boats/defining-daysailing/

Stayed with a Laser the other day in light air, but he had two kids onboard and a seriously blown-out sail....and I'm not sure he was trying....

Stayed with a couple in a longer/more sophisticated-looking day sailor who obviously knew what they were doing - and seemed to be trying, but it was by heading up and pedaling hard in the lulls.

I can stay with Windrider 17's in light air, but they walk away from me as soon as a puff comes along.

Yesterday I was staying with a guy in a Sunfish who seemed to know what he doing - but I was doing my share of pedaling.

Not exactly precise data, I know.....

But how does it stack up against the experience of Those Who Know What They Are Doing ?

Especially the Sunfish comparison..........Should I be able to stay with a Sunfish without pedaling ?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Everything is relative, the sweet spot for sunfish is 7mph winds to about 12 mph winds. Below 7mph and it boring, and above 12 you should think about coming in unless your a real expert (I had a sunfish). In that range it will out perform your AI (if you don't pedal), if your willing to pedal they are comparable in some conditions (upwind).
The laser is faster and has a much wider range (I have heard and seen, but have never sailed one myself). I'm just talking about the basic laser, there are some pretty awesome lasers out there which are complex boats, and will blow you away in pretty much any conditions. There is no circumstance you can keep up with a cat like an H16, all cats are faster than pretty much anything out there in experienced hands.
I'll be honest I go some pretty good distances often and go off shore. I have never seen anyone fishing from a laser or sunfish, 99% of the time most just zig zag around aimlessly within a mile or so from the launch. There are a lot of reggattas around here, and on some weekends there are 300-400 of them out there competing against each other always on small courses (I alway call it chasing little bouys around, but thats cruel). Most sailers are into organized sailing, and class racing, probably 80% of the small sail boats out there are what they call class legal, and you are not allowed to change one screw on the boats (mods), thats the way the system works. Every boat in a class is identical, and it's the sailers skills that makes winners and losers, not the best tech. I have a different tact, I'm a clever guy and cheat by any means possible, I have nothing to prove to anyone, I sail for my own enjoyment, I could care less what anyone else does, I'm not trying to beat anyone at anything, just tryin to enjoy myself on a budget (that's why I design and make everything myself, to save money, and I enjoy doing it as part of the hobby).
The AI/TI boats are way more versatile than any of the other boats mentioned, and you can use them for anything and everything. Ours is our family boat (our SUV). There is no time you can't take an adventure boat out, no wind no problem, up to small craft advisory conditions (if you know what your doing obviously). Though most typically don't go out in winds under 7mph, with the mirage drive It's no problem (just slow). The sweet spot on these boats is 8-9 mph to maybe 18 mph, but it gets increasingly uncomfortable in higher wind and rougher seas. Also It's pretty difficult to make any headway upwind in winds over around 20 mph.
Hope this helps
FE