Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check this out guys. Looks downright comfortable if you had some sort of bug net covering or a 1-2 man tent.

https://youtu.be/72_NT5rj4mo

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very clever. Tight squeeze in there though. A lower profile mattress would do the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Comfortable, yes. Practical, NO!! Not for the camping that I do.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assuming your willing to let the mattress get trashed out, what I was thinking was, use the mattress as a base and put a very small tent on top of it. I imagine the un-inflated mattress may be bulky and your going to need a battery to inflate. I agree Keith, I'd rather camp and hang out on land.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam, it's all in good spirits, but I do carry a 12-v battery (the size found in alarm systems) with a cigarette lighter receptacle hard-wired to it. I have a Coleman 12-volt pump which I use to fill my small Exped inflatable mattress. I also use it to charge my vhf radio, GPS, cell, etc during the night. My guess is that it would also fill that large air mattress.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about this:

Or one on each side?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That works for me as well- if I had hakas. Looks great dosen'T it? At least with this option you the cock pit acting like a vestibule. This would be an easy in and out. A place for your shoes etc outside the tent.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There have been many ingenious ways to camp on an Island aka/amas--WaterTribers do it regularly. For me, I've recently sailed almost all of the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge coastal route (about 280 miles), and I have yet to need an on-board sleeping arrangement. There are beaches, beaches, and beaches on coastal Gulf of Mexico including along the Everglades.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
There have been many ingenious ways to camp on an Island aka/amas--WaterTribers do it regularly. For me, I've recently sailed almost all of the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge coastal route (about 280 miles), and I have yet to need an on-board sleeping arrangement. There are beaches, beaches, and beaches on coastal Gulf of Mexico including along the Everglades.

Keith

I agree, Keith. I love the water, but not that much. :lol:
I never carry an anchor or see the need to sleep on board. If the water is calm enough to anchor, then it's definitely calm enough to pull up on shore and set up camp.
We don't have any areas here in Costa Rica where one is not allowed on shore/trespassing. The first 200m is owned by the state and thus the people.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's not enough floatation in the old AI Amas to make that practical. But on the new Islands,..maybe.

Spreading the weight across the hulls is wiser.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A WaterTriber's set up in 2015 Everglades Challenge:

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR Yaker wrote:
I agree, Keith. I love the water, but not that much. :lol:
I never carry an anchor or see the need to sleep on board. If the water is calm enough to anchor, then it's definitely calm enough to pull up on shore and set up camp.
We don't have any areas here in Costa Rica where one is not allowed on shore/trespassing. The first 200m is owned by the state and thus the people.

That's awesome, not so in the US though, at least near where I live, where much of the shore land is privately owned. Where it's publicly owned there are often strict rules and regulations about overnight camping which is limited only to specific areas. However, you can generally stay overnight on a vessel on the water almost anywhere you want as long as you're not too close to seaways, docks, mooring areas, or private land. That's why a great on-board sleeping arrangement for the TI is so needed for some of us.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking at how that Teton Outfitter XL tent is just sitting on the tramps, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be? One of the issues with the Teton is length and with the edges overhanging as in the pic there would be a lot less room. Your feet and head would be touching the sloping walls.

The problem with the mattress is that any water from rain/splashes would end up in the middle of the mattress making for an uncomfortable night. That was a problem with the original Outfitter which was designed to fit on their Teton stretcher. Problem was the fly sides didn't quite cover the stretcher and any water ended up pooling in the middle of the stretcher. They ended up producing a much larger fly.

I have spent 12 nights all up sleeping on the AI and now TI. It is a great solution to the 'No Camping' problem and it has allowed me to get into some amazing places. There is a lot of info available in the 'Sleeping on Board' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13400
I will say that as well as keeping dry the other issues faced sleeping on board are bug proofing and wind proofing. I'd be a bit worried as to how well those pods would stand up in some of the breezes I've been hit by when camped on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Stringy. You can see a nice set of Hakas under the tent (reflected in the water). Again, this adds considerable weight to only one side, which already suffers from low floatation.

Might be feasible on a TI.

You're a better judge of that than me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're right Nohuhu. Thanks, I didn't notice that reflection. To me it looked like the tent was drooping over the edge of the aka. :oops:
I agree with you it's better to be centred over the hull, even on a TI.