Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had a foldable aluminum sun bed over the front seat on my TI. It worked quite well, but the bed is breaking apart so I might have to buy something new. A sun bed is a really god solution, but I might need a stronger one. Has anyone else here tried a sun bed? You get comfort, you can both sit up and lay down, rain or sweat is no problem and you can store a lot of stuff beneath it. You can put a popup tent on it or even above it as a shield against sun and rain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know what a "sun bed" is. Any pictures?

I guess it is something like this

Yes! I think every Island ought to be fitted with a sunbed!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, some pics would be good Hobie Crafte!
There are many varieties of sun lounges available.

I've looked at them before but even the alloy ones had lots of steel bits in the folding mechanism. Not good for saltwater use!
They are also bulky when folded:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, my sun bed looks about like the second one in Stringys collection of pictures, but with no sun shield. It seems like the one I bought is not manufactured any more, maybe due to quality problems. The ones in Chekikas picture might be sturdier, but they are probably not foldable and the back of the chair/bed is probably fixed.

I think it would be better to have a sun bed with very short but strong legs or even no legs at all and put in on two wooden planks fastened on the akas. I might try to remove the legs from my sun bed. What tool is the best for removing aluminum legs?

My sun bed also have some steel bits in the folding mechanism. Which might not be stainless. If you take away the bed's legs you don't need the folding mechanism. The bed can be folded even without it! And the bed won't be very bulky when you have taken away excessive stuff from it. You might not even want to remove it from the boat.

It is not that easy to cut away the folding mechanism. The alloy pipes might become somewhat damaged. But it probably doesn't matter a lot, if you fasten the bed on a couple of wooden planks.

I use to have the bed pointing backwards and hope it will be possible even after the operations mentioned above, as it has several advantages, at least for me. Like being able to move backwards swiftly if the boat has to be moved.

Last edited by Hobie Crafte on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think all these aluminum chairs have steel pins at the folding joints. Still, they hold up fair. Hey, they don't cost much.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, they're not cheap either. I paid about 65 dollars for mine and it was a cheap one compared to the others. They most often costs three times as much and I even found one which costs more than 700 dollars! If the bed only lasts for one or two months of use I dont want to pay much for it. I dont like throw-away-garbage.

Using the bed on a TI certainly can put some extra stress on it. I also had some difficulties with/at fastening the bed well, which probably lowered its life time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
Looking at how that Teton Outfitter XL tent is just sitting on the tramps, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be? One of the issues with the Teton is length and with the edges overhanging as in the pic there would be a lot less room. Your feet and head would be touching the sloping walls.

The problem with the mattress is that any water from rain/splashes would end up in the middle of the mattress making for an uncomfortable night. That was a problem with the original Outfitter which was designed to fit on their Teton stretcher. Problem was the fly sides didn't quite cover the stretcher and any water ended up pooling in the middle of the stretcher. They ended up producing a much larger fly.

I have spent 12 nights all up sleeping on the AI and now TI. It is a great solution to the 'No Camping' problem and it has allowed me to get into some amazing places. There is a lot of info available in the 'Sleeping on Board' thread:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopi ... 70&t=13400
I will say that as well as keeping dry the other issues faced sleeping on board are bug proofing and wind proofing. I'd be a bit worried as to how well those pods would stand up in some of the breezes I've been hit by when camped on the water.

I have had a foldable sun bed over the front seat with a https://hovement.com/best-inflatable-mattress/ mattress on top of it. It works quite well, but the bed is breaking apart so I might have to buy something new but ensure I keep the mattress as from what I've experienced so far, I can't trade it for any other.Has anyone else here tried a sun bed with these mattresses? You get comfort, you can both sit up and lay down, rain or sweat is no problem and you can store a lot of stuff beneath it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am setting up my TI for hanging a Hammock on the kayak. I am mounting an extra antenna pole (40mm aluminium) just in front of the mast anyway and will try to use this as a front fixing point for the hamock. The mast is laid down between the front antenna pole and the rear riserbar. Some extra lines will stabilze the setup. Also adding a large tarp that will be laid over the folded mast and reach out to the amas. I hope this setup will work well and can be used on the water aswell with the TI on land, beached. This keeps the crabs and cockroaches out of my pants! LOL!
The tarp, hammock and sleepingbag is stored in a watertight bag on the tramp when sailing, all in all aprox. 5 lbs of gear. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's another approach:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

since i am 6.3" I always said that it's a big disadvantage to be tall. these options confirm that i am right