Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know I must need to have my head checked...I went out without a fishing pole yesterday...

The wife and I needed some R&R time so we put the new Tandem Island in the water for her first sail. WOW...what fun and so much room on that beautiful boat...

The wind was a little weak in the morning so we did some pedaling with the new 180 Mirage Drives...with two people peddling that yak really gets up and moves...I lost my hat in the wind later and we had to use the reverse drive to retrieve it...that new 180 reverse is pretty cool.

It's a big kayak at 18' so it takes some effort and two people to move it around and set her up...but once she's on the water...it's nothing but FUN...!
I can't wait to get offshore and do some trolling this summer.

Jim / Saba Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for sharing... open water!! I can't wait!
:D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for sharing.

[quote="Saba Slayer"]I know I must need to have my head checked...I went out without a fishing pole yesterday...

Forgetting the rods seems to be a common problem. I used to go fishing almost every time I went out in my Revo, but since switching to the TI I'm having so much fun sailing, I don't get any fishing in unless I'm trolling. I used to get so much pleasure just kicked back with a rod over the side, but it just isn't happening with my TI. I'm going to make more of an effort to stop, anchor up and chill a bit with the rods instead of just sailing and trolling.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LSYak wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Saba Slayer wrote:
I know I must need to have my head checked...I went out without a fishing pole yesterday...

Forgetting the rods seems to be a common problem. I used to go fishing almost every time I went out in my Revo, but since switching to the TI I'm having so much fun sailing, I don't get any fishing in unless I'm trolling. I used to get so much pleasure just kicked back with a rod over the side, but it just isn't happening with my TI. I'm going to make more of an effort to stop, anchor up and chill a bit with the rods instead of just sailing and trolling.

Cheers
John

Exactly! I end up having to make a conscious effort to stop and fish. It ends up being "filler" for when the wind dies :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on Hobie Adventure Islands and Tandem Islands. How does the Tandem Island handle with only one person n the boat? Has anyone done the Nightmare and Broad Creek in an AI? AI ot TI as a solo boat for the EC? Any recurring malfunctions on either boat?

Discover Torrance Beach

Last edited by jemsbond54 on Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jemsbond54 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on Hobie Adventure Islands and Tandem Islands. How does the Tandem Island handle with only one person n the boat? Has anyone done the Nightmare and Broad Creek in an AI? AI ot TI as a solo boat for the EC? Any recurring malfunctions on either boat?

Handling the boat (AI or TI) on water is fine, but it is a load for one person to handle on land, especially the TI.

Jim Czarnowski did the Wilderness Waterway (Chokoloskee to Flamingo and more) March 2016. You can read about part of his little adventure here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=855 Scroll down to "Survival in the Everglades." Jim had an AI 2. I don't know if anyone has done it in a TI, although I don't see why they couldn't. To me, the question is "Why?". I've done it in a sea kayak several times years ago, and it is totally uninteresting to me to think of doing in in an AI/TI. Again, why? If you were sailing down coastal Everglades between Chok and FLM and wanted to do a side trip through Nightmare, fine, just be sure to do it with a compass handy, plus a back up compass in case one gets dropped in the water.

The AI/TI are well designed, stable boats, but any time you do an expedition, like from Chok to FLM or the reverse, you have to have a repair kit and plans for things to go wrong.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Saba Slayer wrote:

The wife and I needed some R&R time so we put the new Tandem Island in the water for her first sail. WOW...what fun and so much room on that beautiful boat...

The wind was a little weak in the morning so we did some pedaling with the new 180 Mirage Drives...with two people peddling that yak really gets up and moves...I lost my hat in the wind later and we had to use the reverse drive to retrieve it...that new 180 reverse is pretty cool.

It's a big kayak at 18' so it takes some effort and two people to move it around and set her up...but once she's on the water...it's nothing but FUN...!
I can't wait to get offshore and do some trolling this summer.

Jim / Saba Slayer

What's up with the sheet going over your partner's shoulder? That isn't right.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
jemsbond54 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Handling the boat (AI or TI) on water is fine, but it is a load for one person to handle on land, especially the TI.

Jim Czarnowski did the Wilderness Waterway (Chokoloskee to Flamingo and more) March 2016. You can read about part of his little adventure here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=855 Scroll down to "Survival in the Everglades." Jim had an AI 2. I don't know if anyone has done it in a TI, although I don't see why they couldn't. To me, the question is "Why?". I've done it in a sea kayak several times years ago, and it is totally uninteresting to me to think of doing in in an AI/TI. Again, why? If you were sailing down coastal Everglades between Chok and FLM and wanted to do a side trip through Nightmare, fine, just be sure to do it with a compass handy, plus a back up compass in case one gets dropped in the water.

The AI/TI are well designed, stable boats, but any time you do an expedition, like from Chok to FLM or the reverse, you have to have a repair kit and plans for things to go wrong.

Keith

My 2016 EC partner ZeroTheHero and his wife GreenMountainGirl did the WW including the Nightmare in their TI in 2017. They said it was tight and difficult and that Broad Creek was worse. Expect to scratch up your boat on the oysters in the mangroves. Zero did say he'd never do it again in that boat.

As for a TI solo on the EC, it's been done a number of times. I'd do the EC solo in mine without hesitation, but I'll being doing in 2019 with a teammate. Going solo is a lot harder than two-up on the EC no matter what boat you're in. As for sailing solo for daytrips, I do it often. I sail from the rear position and put a 60# battery in the front compartment to help get the bow down and trim the boat.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We loved our TI’s as our only family boats, ( we got rid of everything else). We moved to only tandem boats a long time ago. Yes all tandem boats, doesn’t matter what type are always bulkier and heavier than their single counterparts. However we found the tandems (especially the TI) to be much more versatile, in our case I’m the only one who ever got the kayaks down and setup, always alone, (everyone dissappears until it’s time to go out), and it takes way longer to setup 3 boats vs 1 boat. About half the time I go out solo, (mostly salt water and offshore), it makes zero difference to me if I’m out there solo or if I have 4 people along in sailing mode, ( makes little difference on my boat, ( which was highly modified)).
In kayak mode (no sails, ama’s, outboards, etc). The TI (even solo) is by far the fastest and best kayak we have ever owned, having a second person on board, whether they pedal or not, has almost zero effect on performance or endurance, and frankly I enjoy my wifes company, (lol).
I consider the TI to be the perfect boat for our lifestyle, and will never own anything else, (we owned 3 of them), and used them for more than you can possibly imagine, a dream come true, thanks Hobie.
Lol everyone talks about the sailing industry kind of disappeared, most of us just got older, but we are all alive and well sporting our tandem islands, which is a totally new class of sailing and adventure that Hobie invented.
My 2 cents
FE

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MisterMoon wrote:

What's up with the sheet going over your partner's shoulder? That isn't right.

Yes, I’d be interested to know what exactly I’m looking at there. I never noticed it before. Unfortunately I see SS hasn’t been logged in for over a year so I don’t expect an explanation from him. Anybody else have any idea what’s going on there?

Cheers,
John