Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally! Took my first sail in my new TI, at Lake Hennessey (near St. Helena) :)

and am looking forward to getting my feet wet in some open water. But want to take it a little easy at first (not sure I'm ready for the open ocean off the Golden Gate). Have been on Tomales Bay in a regular kayak, and demoing a TI in Sausalito - both basically flat water. Can anyone give me some tips on where else to go that would kick it up a notch?

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS have sent in an application to the Hobie Island Club in Santa Rosa but no response.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was on Tomales Bay this weekend. It was definitively up a notch. By 2 pm on Saturday, I had to furl a bit to avoid submerging an Ama....15 mph winds with 25 mph gusts. The next day was calmer. The only down side is that the wind was blowing straight down the bay so I was either tacking ot running. Still a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oakland Estuary to start with. Flat water but sometimes have the wind up to what it will be in the bay. Launch at Grant St.

Then go to the other side of Alameda and launch in the bay at Ballena Bay. Launch ramp is not great, though. It can get rough and windy.

Go and launch outside of San Francisco just south of AT&T, then sail up to South Beach/McCovey Cove.

You can always trailer to the 'burbs and join me in Benicia (two launch ramps, there's at least one TI and one AI that come out occasionally (and another AI across the way in Martinez)).

Once you've done those, you are ready for the Berkeley launch ramp and Berkeley circle. If you can sail in there, you are probably good for anywhere except the slot. I wouldn't recommend the slot in a TI; those 35 kt winds and 8 foot swells (not to mention the ocean going merchant vessels who aren't going to get out of your way) are tough in a little boat.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NorcalIslander wrote:
I was on Tomales Bay this weekend. It was definitively up a notch. By 2 pm on Saturday, I had to furl a bit to avoid submerging an Ama....15 mph winds with 25 mph gusts. The next day was calmer. The only down side is that the wind was blowing straight down the bay so I was either tacking ot running. Still a lot of fun.

Tomales bay sounds interesting but on the map it looks huge. Where do you launch from there?

I trailer my AI so i mainly launch out off of boat ramps. As a noob, here is where I have tried in the 6 months. Half moon bay, Santa Cruz, still water cove, Redwood city, coyote point, oyster point, Alameda rock wall, Quarry lake, Shadow Cliff, China Camp. I am always looking for new and fun places to sail. The only one that gave me problems was the beach launch at Carmel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I trailer as well..I launch from either Nicks cove(aka Miller boat launch) or Tomales Bay Resort. The resort charges $5 to launch but its well worth it as it is far less busy. If you do Tomales bay Id recommend doing an overnight camping trip with your AI. With a permit from the near by Bear valley visitors center, most of the beaches on the west side of the bay can be camped on. This is what I did last weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have been on Tomales Bay in a regular kayak, accompanying a friend in his AI. That's the reason I bought the TI. While I was flailing away with my paddle in a stiff breeze, he was cruising back and forth with the sail and periodically the mirage drive.
Sounds like almost anyplace will do - I also have my TI on a trailer and would probably do best with a boat launch.