Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, I forgot one...

8, Get rid of that pointless little drain plug at the lower back edge of the hull -an accident waiting to happen... :-)

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
Oh, I forgot one...

8, Get rid of that pointless little drain plug at the lower back edge of the hull -an accident waiting to happen... :-)

Mike.

You have me flummoxed Mike... isn't the point of that little plug to enable you to drain the hull? After a windy day, I undo that plug while the trailer is on the sloping ramp, and the water drains out of the hull.

What alternative method do you use? (seriously)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So here goes with uploading photos:

both pics show front aka with added cheek block outboard, and added cam cleat inboard. In this configuration the furling line (green) goes through the cheek block to the rear aka cam cleat. The inner cam cleat is not used. The middle cam cleat has the front seat furling line through it and cleated.

Shows rear aka with outboard cam cleat now used for furling line and inboard cam cleat used for main sheet.

last image is for front seat control - inner cam cleat used for furling line, middle cam cleat for main sheet, outer cheek block not used.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might want to slip a piece of 1/2" polypropylene tubing over that sail control line in your pic, that sail control line will cut thu the hull like butter. I put one in, I didn't tie it to anything, just slipped over the 1/4" black rope between the pulley and the cleat. The tubing is large enough diameter to not get caught up in the pulley or the cleat.
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good idea - I tried to get the part number for the metal plate that is used in the rear of the TI to protect the hull, but no response - not sure how to get the number.

but the tubing idea is simple and cheap. I like it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are we expecting an updated Island/TI for 2918, or is this just a wish list? I think the last major changes were for 2015?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats 902 yrs away, I cant wait that long. I would like to see a super TI (somethin like I already have).
Being able to car top a very powerful complex boat, that can also be used as a really good kayak is great for us who travel alot and use our boats for many different things including offshore.
They can't tell us it can't be done, I've been running mine now for 7 yrs with no issues.
I hope they are workin on somethin along those lines anyway.
Mine's near end of life.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This was on my wish list 2013-01-16.

"The AI of my dream should be absolute watertight.
The wet ride I can accept.
But when the ride is over and I have reached the camp site for the night, I would love to have all my gear packed inside the hull, dry as desert sand.

Keep on dreaming! :D

br thomas"

Well...

And I might add:
Don't make it heavier than it already is!
Don't make it more complicated than it already is!
Don't make it anyless useful as a kayak.

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tony,

Personally I never use it. After each trip I usually hose out my A.I. with fresh water and use the (manual) bilge-pump to remove most of the water (and sand).

I simply use a big car-sponge to mop-up and excess.

It just seems that that small drain-plug is badly positioned - wouldn't take much (an accidental drop onto a hard surface?) to mash the plug completely.

Not that it'd be an impossible hole to plug, in an emergency, but to me at least, it's superfluous...

On the subject of which - there's also that bigger drain-plug on the side of the hull, just aft of the rear-hatch. Perhaps that one can go too? :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

tonystott wrote:
mingle wrote:
Oh, I forgot one...

Mike.

You have me flummoxed Mike... isn't the point of that little plug to enable you to drain the hull? After a windy day, I undo that plug while the trailer is on the sloping ramp, and the water drains out of the hull.

What alternative method do you use? (seriously)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, it seems no one has mentioned upgrading the rudder on the TI to handle the large sail. My wish, much improved rudder for the Tandem.

The rudder is another of Hobie's "one size fits all" philosophy: same rudder for AI, AI 2, Tandem. That is amazing. The AI 2 could also use an improved rudder.

While I'm on the "one size fits all" complaint, why not improve the aka-brace shear pin for the AI 2 and Tandem?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Wow, it seems no one has mentioned upgrading the rudder on the TI to handle the large sail. My wish, much improved rudder for the Tandem.

The rudder is another of Hobie's "one size fits all" philosophy: same rudder for AI, AI 2, Tandem. That is amazing. The AI 2 could also use an improved rudder.

While I'm on the "one size fits all" complaint, why not improve the aka-brace shear pin for the AI 2 and Tandem?

Keith

Agreed. I have stalled my TI's rudder several times.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mainsheet cam cleat should swivel making it easier to trim sail from port haka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea if your on the left side hiked out, and you lock the cleat down, for some reason I can't seem to release the cleat, except with my tippie toe (lol). A better cleat style would be nice.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding the Harken 476 X-treme angle fairlead is a simple and effective fix for this problem. I've been using it for almost three years and it works well:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 5&p=247322

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Adding the Harken 476 X-treme angle fairlead is a simple and effective fix for this problem. I've been using it for almost three years and it works well:
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 5&p=247322
+1 I've been using one for a coupe of years now too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next