Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What's your 2018 wish for Island kayaks? Good time to share it now so they can start thinking about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just off the top of my head...
* Hobie sanctioned hakas that can stay on while the amas fold in.
* A jib that works on the same rigging as the spinnaker.
* Larger amas for the TI
* Move the rear crossbar for the TI behind the seat (makes hiking from the rear seat easier and gives the TI larger tramps)
* Ditch the stupid CE sticker

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI doesn't need bigger AMA's if the AKA bars are extended about a foot further out. Makes the boat totally un tippable even with massive sailsets. If Hobie offered longer AKA bars (1ft longer) as an option, I think lots of people would buy them. I've been running the wider stance for a couple years now with no issues, better yet it adds no more weight to the aready heavy boat.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:

* Larger amas for the TI
* Move the rear crossbar for the TI behind the seat (makes hiking from the rear seat easier and gives the TI larger tramps)

I agree with your Hobie sanctioned haka Tom, they are long overdue, but I wouldn't like to see larger ama or a repositioned crossbar.
One of the big advantages the TI has over the AI is that you can paddle from the backseat with tramps fitted.
Hobie haka should cantilever beyond the rear aka to the footwell which would make for easy hiking out but still allow paddling. Sitting hiked out opposite the rear footwell seems to be the best position for boat balance when soloing.

Larger ama are not needed if you are hiking out, neither are wider aka (sorry Bob!). A wider boat restricts access.

I'd like to see a redesigned stronger bow hatch area that can actually be walked on and has better waterproofing. Hobie strengthened the AI2 bow and it is overdue on the TI.

A factory outboard mount designed to take a 2.5hp would increase the TI's already unrivalled versatility.

Last edited by stringy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
The TI doesn't need bigger AMA's if the AKA bars are extended about a foot further out. Makes the boat totally un tippable even with massive sailsets. If Hobie offered longer AKA bars (1ft longer) as an option, I think lots of people would buy them. I've been running the wider stance for a couple years now with no issues, better yet it adds no more weight to the aready heavy boat.
FE

FE, I'd forgotten you'd extended you're AKA's. How did you manage this again? I might give it a go.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

- Long overdue Jib
- Front Hatch Leak Fix or Auto Bilge Pump Kit
- Remove / Revised Coast Guard Sticker
- Bow / Keel Guard
- Folded Ama Scratch Guard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

1- jib or genoa
2 - bow extensible pole
3 - mirage drive + (optional with longer finns)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You know the eclipse flow 90 fins available from hobie for the same price as turbo fins. They work but Much more leg power required, and I wouldn't try pushing them too hard (really hard aggressive peddling), because the cables are a little lite (you will break cables once in a while if you push them too hard).
As a comparison If you need a 55 cpm (cycles per minute) cadence to maintain a certain speed with turbo fins, you can maintain the same speed with a 40-45 cpm cadence with the flow 90 fins, but they do pedal harder (just a rough estimate off the top of my head, I didn't go out and measure speeds or anything, just a feel for the things (I've been using them for a while).
I didn't get them to peddle using the MD for primary propulsion (my TI is tri-powered), I purchased them because of my much higher cruise speed (regular turbo fins don't provide any useful additional propulsion at speeds over 8mph) so this may not apply to anyone else.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

- number one in my list is a Motor ready Hull
- letters and numbers available from Hobie store so all fonts and colors pasted in the kayak are matching.
- accessories to avoid sail lines hitting your face when your seating on the back

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know there is some disagreement WRT TI ama size. To each their own. However, comparing main hull to ama proportions with some of the larger trimarans (weta, corsair, dragonfly) it just seems that the TI's are slightly shorter and smaller volume - wise than they should be. It could just be my perception though...it's not like I've done any actual scientific volume comparisons.

Stringy - I could get onboard with the cantilevered haka.

I haven't had bow leakage issues like some folks, but I have seen the forum posts and can agree that it's an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I agree with your Hobie sanctioned haka Tom, they are long overdue.

I'd like to see a redesigned stronger bow hatch area that can actually be walked on and has better waterproofing. Hobie strengthened the AI2 bow and it is overdue on the TI.

x2

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To counter the extra weight for the motor mount. Drop the front mirage drive (I never use it anyways). Drop the front steering assembly. Turn the front seating (or make it reversible) to face the back of the TI. I'm sure some clever rebalancing could be done with the placement of the amas/front seat. This could be a whole new TI in name, like a Sport TI packaged for fishing/camping.
There has to be some areas where weight can be cut down on?

Hobie should also get into the Skiff market.
A 2 person SOT Skiff with one set of peddles, no sail, motor mount, bench seating.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A clever Hobie anchor arrangement - fairlead on the bows, and a tie-off point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A bigger centerboard.
An improvement in spinnaker cables and TOP that Scroll together with the master sail.
Some kind of sun cover.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A jib that works on the same rigging as the spinnaker.

Stronger bow/hatch that you can step on.

(Yes I need to stand and step off the front at certain beaching sites and I am just 190Lbs, My 2008 AI had a harder Bow deck than my AI2. Also if you ever let your Spinnaker drop under the Bow you are gonna have to get up to the pointy end to pull it back from fouling under with the Fins and Skeg.)