Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Back on P1 of this topic I posted my wish for a stronger bow/hatch area that could actually be walked on when exiting.
Yesterday I visited the Sydney boat show where Hobie had a large display. I was able to view the latest TI. My initial impression was that the bow/hatch did feel more solid than on my '10 model, which oil cans if you just sit on the hatch.
It looked like it was taller and more angled than mine.
I took some pics and used a drivewell plug to get a rough height measurement.

Showing the pics to my wife when I got home she agreed that it looked different to ours.
I was thinking that maybe Hobie strengthened it when they did the '15 reverse bow upgrade, though I didn't recall that being covered in the TI upgrades at the time.
This morning I took some pics and was surprised that there was actually no difference between my '10 TI and the latest '17 model.

Maybe it was the lighting on the display but I was surprised at how much my memory played tricks!
It really looked different, in fact I would have put money on it! Wishful thinking perhaps?

Anyway Hobie, I repeat my wish that you give the TI the same strengthening that the AI2 has in the bow area. Those vertical gunwale ridges that extend all the way to the bow really stiffen up the AI2 bow deck. Please consider adding them to the TI.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wish for all Hobie Mirage boats would be some kind of secure holder in the boat for the Mirage drive when not in use.Maybe a molded
holder with strap system in the top of the hatch itself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One more wish.A multi tool(similar to the ones for bicycles)for working on the Mirage drive in the field(allen wrenches,open end wrenches,socket for pedal adjustment etc.)that could fold and be kept in the hatch with some spare parts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

amonk wrote:
One more wish.A multi tool(similar to the ones for bicycles)for working on the Mirage drive in the field(allen wrenches,open end wrenches,socket for pedal adjustment etc.)that could fold and be kept in the hatch with some spare parts.

+1. And make it stainless i have a few rust stains from Allen keys in my hobie buckets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has a stainless tool available for the inflatables for removing the pedal cranks and adjusting the drive cables. It’s been part of my onboard toolkit for years but I can’t find details of it in the catalogue. (Edit -part#79050400 i - WRENCH-MIRAGEDRIVE SS)
Stainless Allen/Hex keys are available from Wera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The little rear lower drain plug terrifies me and is stopping me buying another ...I totally agree with Mike its a bit silly in design making a hole sub water line and is definitely going to fail at some point That said its not hard to weld the hole closed ......
A renewable wear strip in the same area would be good as when car topping this area is grounded ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

amonk wrote:
My wish for all Hobie Mirage boats would be some kind of secure holder in the boat for the Mirage drive when not in use.Maybe a molded
holder with strap system in the top of the hatch itself.

I just leave the drive in place and flatten the fins against the hull using the bungie provided by Hobie for the purpose. If removing the drive, it sits nicely against the front wall of the cockpit (on leash all the time of course)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wild321 wrote:
The little rear lower drain plug terrifies me and is stopping me buying another ...I totally agree with Mike its a bit silly in design making a hole sub water line and is definitely going to fail at some point That said its not hard to weld the hole closed ......
A renewable wear strip in the same area would be good as when car topping this area is grounded ...

I am totally perplexed as to why you are terrified by that little drain plug. How is it going to fail? Enough to even prevent you buying another? :roll: :roll:

I always keep a couple of spare plugs in case I lose one on the road. Being plastic, these plugs will wear out (how? good question) well before the embedded brass thread inside the hull.

Many people who car top, carry a small square of old carpet which they place under the stern when moving the hull to or from the roof.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In sailing Islands for about 10 years, I've never experienced or heard of that drain plug failing.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
In sailing Islands for about 10 years, I've never experienced or heard of that drain plug failing.

Keith
He'll, I've forgotten to put the drain plug back in before a sail. I didn't even take in but maybe a quart or two in 3+ hours of sailing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a couple starting the Everglades Challenge last year or the year before, who left the plug out when they launched from East Beach, Ft Desoto. They were riding pretty low in the water by the time they got across Tampa Bay.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Islands are a great product. If you can improve upwind sailing, they'll be near perfect. That and a little bit of flat deck (cockpit) space for standing. Do we really need all those space-consuming serrated foot wells? An archaic style that really could go, especially on a vessel whose last resort is paddling.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd love to see a deeper, more vertical, stiffer bilge board on the TI. It would help tremendously going upwind, especially in lighter conditions where they make tons of leeway now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All i want is an adapter that goes into the mirage drive that has beach wheel on it. That way the fully rigged TI isnt such a heavy beast pulling it across the beach sand. 4 wheels are better then two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The sand here in sarasota looks and feels just like sugar, and is very soft, actually kind of hard to even walk thru.
Truth be known, I don't bother with any cart at all when I pull my boat across the sand, I just drag it thru the sand.
There a lot of kayak fishing people around here, I noticed the only people that use scupper carts at all seem to be the Hobie people, (just an observation).
FE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next