Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Maine Island Trail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A couple of afterthoughts...

1. I'm going to make sure to pack a rain suit - jacket and pants - next year when I go back to Maine. Walking around the campsite in the fog was a wet experience. Yep, a good rain suit is a great thing to take..which brings me to Fog and tents..

2. I woke the first morning on George Head in thick fog. I had planned to bring that Moss tent shown in Keith's pic but I managed to snap a pole on it so I brought a new Kelty. While I had the fly pulled down to within 3 inches of the ground, the fog was seeping under that air vent, rising up about a foot or so to the bathtub/mesh seam, and then raining onto the foot of my sleeping bag. That 4 mil of plastic sheeting that Doug mentioned??Yep, I get it now. The fog is something completely new - and pervasive. (Note, I'm looking at that blue rain fly on the Edmonds' tent and thinking that looks fog proof.

3. I did take my TI across the US/CA border twice. No issues whatsoever. Canadian Customs wanted to make sure that I was going to bring it back to the US (as if I'd leave it!) but that was about it. They did have me open our van and start to ask about various things, but they waved me on when I started to explain about the solar panel..(No, wait, it's really cool. Let's talk about it...(Management gives me a withering look..) and we drove on). I launched it at St. Peters on Cape Breton and took it out for a short ride on the Bras D'Or. Great place to sail!! Water was about 70 with little chop.

I love my TI.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What a trip! Awsome! Really beautiful scenery!
Thank for sharing! Really inspiring!

All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BobAgain wrote:
2. I woke the first morning on George Head in thick fog. I had planned to bring that Moss tent shown in Keith's pic but I managed to snap a pole on it so I brought a new Kelty.

Bob, remember, I have another pole for that Moss tent.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

aha! Thanks for reminding me, Keith. I'll make sure to get it this coming winter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Hi Jim, great to hear from you. How did you do with Irma?

Keith
Hey Keith ! Did pretty good. Just a lot of fences, plants, and trees down around us. Neighbor across the street has a giant tree from the neighbors in his pool. Thankful it wasn't worse like Houston, the Keys or the Virgin Islands. Our son flew into the Virgin Islands this week to do relief efforts and said it looked like a nuclear bomb hit.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad to hear you did OK, Jim.

We're seeing a lot of it on TV out here...which you probably don't have...but, yes, it looks horrible in the virgin islands and much of the keys. I'm wondering how Chok-EC did?

It should all make for some interesting trips this year.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon