Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Down in Carmel, we have some very tough beach launches. The sand falls drops off quickly so wading out into deeper water doesn't work. In these conditions, is an Adventure Island with its akas easier to launch in those conditions than a regular kayak. I suppose that an AI doesn't tip of as easily but I am wondering if it might be harder to keep it pointed into the waves than a regular kayak. If my buddies on regular kayaks think the conditions are safe for them, how would an Ai fare?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:29 am 
Site Admin

An Island is a hand full compared to a basic kayak in the surf. I would suggest calm conditions for launching would be better. That diagram reminds me of Monastery beach. Rugged even for swim / dive entry let alone a kayak.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
An Island is a hand full compared to a basic kayak in the surf. I would suggest calm conditions for launching would be better. That diagram reminds me of Monastery beach. Rugged even for swim / dive entry let alone a kayak.

Wow. You are spot on. That is a sign from Monastery beach. On my last launch, I did it without the akas and I did fine with the launch but flipped when i was out at sea (distracted by something). So this time i was thinking about leaving one or both akas, but the launch worries me. The easy launches (stillwater and whalers cove) have limits on the number of kayakers and are usually very crowded. I was thinking about trying carmel river beach or carmel by the sea, but I'd probably need to travel about 1/4 mile on the sand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FYI, I just launched off the beach at the OBX, NC about 10 mins ago in the danger zone. Long story short, broke a aka pin, rear starboard aka came out of the aka brace. Didn't even make pass the danger zone. Just one try and I was like, nope! Not today! It's so difficult to launch a TI into the surf. Never again will I try it. I'll post pictures of all the sand in yak later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

touayang84 wrote:
...rear starboard aka came out of the aka brace....

t_84, I can't believe you are still not using KB's keeper lines!!!! And, again, I believe you are referring to the crossbar, not the "aka brace." Correct me if I'm wrong.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
touayang84 wrote:
...rear starboard aka came out of the aka brace....

t_84, I can't believe you are still not using KB's keeper lines!!!! And, again, I believe you are referring to the crossbar, not the "aka brace." Correct me if I'm wrong.

Keith

Didn't hook it up. I got it installed. And yes, cross bar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is after I removed majority of the sand from the yak. My seats is all covered in sand too.
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lol our TI has been buried in the sand many times, we just make repairs and learn from our mistakes. In Florida we are lucky we have an intercoastal waterway we can launch from. But there is a high price in distance to where we want to hang out. Most of the time it's 5-10 miles to where we want to be, (sometimes 25-30 miles, but not very often). That's another reason we have motors on ours, because of the great distances we must travel to get to the really fun stuff. Plus if we get in trouble out there (which is often) we can always get back in via what we call 'get out of dodge mode'.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I feel your pain.

Recommend viewing this post and you tube videos for tips on surf launches with Islands.

WW

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=62099

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow. These boats are literally held together with rubber bands and nylon bolts. You'll need a generous replacement parts budget to do this kind of thing with any regularity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rubber bands, no; 3 nylon shear bolts, yes. I think it is fair to say that, experienced AI/TI owners DO NOT LAUNCH IN SERIOUS SURF. Having said that, the sand in the TI in the above pictures looks pretty minor.

I remember one time a few years ago, there were some power boats anchored at Mid-cape on Cape Sable in the Everglades National Park. Where they were anchored looks a lot like that picture graphic in Michael1one original post above. A storm came in, washed 2 poorly anchored boats up on the beach, filled them with sand, and crushed them. THAT was expensive.

It is nothing for waves to move huge amounts of sand. You do not want to be in a danger area in front of those waves. Waves can easily turn an AI/TI on a beach. Once broadside to the waves, an AI/TI is at the mercy of the ocean and can be totally destroyed. Do not underestimate the power of the ocean and ocean waves. To do so is to risk life, limb, and equipment.

One last anecdote: over the years as I have paddled and sailed along coastal everglades, I've occasionally noted sea trash (floats, traps) 20-30' up in the trees. That trash got there during a hurricane at one time or another. My mind, in flights of fancy, has wondered just how terrifying it would be to be caught in such an onslaught. It goes without saying that it is unlikely that you would live to tell about it.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon