Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to switch the furling line to the port side. My 2017 TI has pre drilled holes on the Aka where I was going to attach a cheek block to redirect the furling line. I found that the spacing is too close for the cheek block, the spacing is the same as the cam cleat, so I was thinking to move the existing cam cleat over to the left to avoid drilling and threading another hole in the Aka. This means that the angle of the line to the cleat would not be a fair angle. If I reversed the furling direction the line would come off the front of the spool giving the same angle as the original and a fair run to the cleat.
My question: Is there any reason that would not work, or would damage the sail by furling it on the mast in the opposite direction to the standard setup?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Brit,

There is no reason not to run the furling line down the port side. Many seem to do it. Rather than moving the cam cleat, I would look at screwing a mounting plate first to the pre-drilled holes on the aka and attaching the cheek block to the mounting plate. The mounting plate can be something as simple as cutting and drilling a old plastic cutting board which can be painted black and wouldn't look out of place. I've seen others on the forum use plastic cutting boards as mounting plates so it should work.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks John. Thats not a bad idea, I might try that. I overthink things sometimes. :D . My reason for keeping the cleat further forward on the Aka was so that if I have my wife or other crew in the front seat they have a longer pull length on the furling line, which for someone like my wife who has limited upper body strength she can better use her weight to lay back and furl more easily. Though there is no reason I couldn't do my own furling from the back if need be right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Unfortunately I sometimes I tend to "under think" :D My plan is to add a cheek block or pulley to the port side of the front aka, then a cam cleat on the rear aka port side. However I will keep the original cam cleat. That way I have a choice of rigging either port or starboard and will eventually choose which I prefer.

Cheers
John