Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The San Juan Islands
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've finally replaced my Trailex tires - 20k miles on the last set - with some Kenda 8s bought from eTrailer. (FWIW a mounted tire was 32 bucks while tire alone was $25. Now I've got some extra rims) While I still have some work to do on our TI, my brother in law has been flying up in the San Juan Islands and sending pictures. They sure look pretty inviting.

Anyone sail their Island up in that area? Looks like 8 - 10 foot tides and 52 degree water in September. Kinda like Maine. Anyone w local knowledge here?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: The San Juan Islands
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heavy currents and cold water...

Keith

PS There are AI/TI users up there, I visited one a few years back. Can't name one though.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a thread where we were trying to figure out a similar trip. Our trip was also in September and it was a fine time to go. Overall nice weather and less crowds.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... an&start=0

We car topped the TI instead of trailering and that mostly worked out well for the trip we did. We were gone for three weeks and the trailer would have been more of a hassle than car topping mostly because of motel stays and to some extent ferry's (you can take a trailer on a ferry - just cost more).

The main part of our TI sailing portion of the trip was about 9 days on San Juan Island and we stayed in a motel. Car topping definitely best here, parking the trailer would have been a huge hassle. We would sail every other day, do a hike or tour every other day. Near Friday harbor there was a free launch ramp that would have been nice to have the trailer for but we also sailed at Roche Harbor where the car top worked better.

We also took the outboard (2.5 Suzuki). I was worried about currents but after the first day, became much less concerned partly because of having the outboard along. There are a few spots that are known for high currents and at those spots, you should worry but for example we sailed from near Friday Harbor on San Juan Island to Lopez Island and currents were just not an issue. If you check tides and get that figured out, definitely not any sort of issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, guys.

We'll be driving Fl to the PNW when we go and the trailer is a given. The hiking/sailing combination tour sounds like a great idea. We enjoy both! Another friend remarked to make sure that we're able to have the commercial traffic in the area electronically visible to us.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, we're going to be at our place in Taos, NM, through late October if you get down that way. We have plenty of room for you and Sue. I recommend Mesa Verde NP, if you get close.

If you come to Taos, we'll do a little dron'n.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Keith!

THis may be a trip for 2019 as I get into the logistic specifics. RIding the Gaspe and then some more drone work in Cape Breton are already on the schedule for this year. I need a Tardis...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What do you wear when up in the PNW on a TI? The water there is always cold and if you went in it, you wouldn't want to be in in it very long... and unprotected, AFAIK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wore some drysuit pants (kokatat hydrus) and a kayak top when up in penobscot bay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

I don't know how you frame your drone shots, but you can get some spectacular pictures from about 300-400' up and shooting straight down. Whatever you do, looking forward to your pictures. Picture from the San Juan islands ought to be beautiful.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon