Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sitting low in water?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Due to lack of time this year, I just got to take our tandem island out for the second time. I fully drained the Hull before going out. I don’t remember the water coming up this high through the mirage drive holes last year. Is this normal? This is with no water in the hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No. That is about 3-4" higher than normal. Hard to see how that is possible with an empty hull. Have you or your passengers put on 500-600# extra?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn’t usually disagree with Keith ...but that seems normal to me Galagher. It all depends on speed, sea conditions and load but even solo and lightly loaded, sitting in the rear seat my heels are often in 1/2” water.
When our TI is really loaded up, as on an extended camping trip the water level can be over the deflector in front of the hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Salt water vs fresh water?
Maybe put on a few pounds while not sailing??? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I wouldn’t usually disagree with Keith ...but that seems normal to me Galagher. It all depends on speed, sea conditions and load but even solo and lightly loaded, sitting in the rear seat my heels are often in 1/2” water.
When our TI is really loaded up, as on an extended camping trip the water level can be over the deflector in front of the hatch.

You may be right Stringy...I'm out in northern New Mexico at 7000' (2134 meters)...but that sure looks too low in the water. Maybe these boats differ significantly?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
Salt water vs fresh water?
Maybe put on a few pounds while not sailing??? :shock:

KB has a good point. My boats have never been in any thing but salt water. If I were in fresh water, I would certainly float deeper.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It’s in salt water. Haven’t really used the boat in a year, so memory is foggy. Had two adults just under 200lbs each and a 50-60 lb kid on each tramp. This was right after a complete and thorough draining of the hull. I don’t remember the mirage clips being submerged in the past, but then I have difficulty remembering what was for dinner last night!

Post subject: Sitting low in water?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It sat on the flat grass all winter under tarp and was flat on a dock this summer until we finally got it in water. Here’s a picture from last year floating at the dock unloaded. Definitely sitting higher in the water (granted it’s unloaded). It’s ok to leave hull on flat ground, correct?

Edit. Sorry for the confusion folks. I found this picture from last year when it was just me and my 50lb son. The water is indeed up (not as high, but also not as loaded) over the clips. So I guess it’s totally normal.

I’ll sail more and worry less!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two adults and two kids out on the tramps ...and the kids are a year older?
That’s probably where your weight gain is!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea loaded with 600 lbs, that’s about right, the boat is a little sluggish when that loaded, but other than that, doesn’t seem to hurt. We are often loaded that much, we typically take in more water when loaded down, and don’t go out in rough conditions that loaded down.
600 lbs max load is about right.
FE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe left sitting flat the hull has flattened a tad , hence the deck is slightly lower in the water. Side by side my revo 16 and my old adventure 2006, the rails are about 1 inch lower, the bottom having flattened more over the years.