Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello fellow flyers of the water

Curious to know what I am in for on the Sea of Cortez between Dec. and April sailing an old Island Adventure.

Showed up at my local lake in Idaho yesterday and it was pumping pretty good ,,Could have passed on it but realizing I am getting ready to do my first Ocean adventure thought I would give it a go and experience higher winds and choppy waves.Wow , it was exhilarating and got a little more tuned into how much these boats can do.Starting to get informed on dealing with surf,how to set up the boat for fishing and snorkeling, and sailing in fast changing conditions.Your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe 15 years ago we kayaked and snorkeled around La Paz and south in early April. The biggest surprise for me was the cold water temps and significant variability. One minute you are in mid 70s water and the next it is mid 60s and unbearable. I regretted not having a wetsuit.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I live on the Sea of Cortez in Cholla Bay and just returned from a six month road trip through Mexico, Belize and Guatamala. I take my adventure tandem everywhere, including Guatamala. Plan ahead and bring proper equipment and parts. This includes wetsuits for December, aka pins, anchor set up, any extra parts you have. If your a fisherman and depending on where your going, you will fish top water or bottom, so bring extra gear because you will loose alot. Ensure everything on your vessel is tied or bolted down, even on the calmest days. Trust me, two spear guns and expensive pole ruins the fun. Always be prepared to capsize, though it doesnt happen often.

Do not launch in surf. Every town, except Mazatlan, has a bay or launching area out of the surf. I am very experienced sailing waves, swells and rough waters in my adventure ti and I will no longer launch in anything medium surf or above. Its not going out that gets you, its coming in so becareful. If your not used to waves, swells and tides it can be dangerous and costly.

I have never had a issue crossing international borders with hobie. I have done it ten plus times and never even asked for paperwork, but bring your boating registration in case. Dont forget snorkel gear as it makes a great dive platform and everywhere, except Puerto Penasco has good snorkeling/diving. Have fun and respect the ocean...