Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a nice weekend getaway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

no fancy pics here just go to go out for a 3 day on the ti with the gf. which we are both guilty of bringing the kitchen sink with us. boat definitely felt/visually low in the water, as i never had to account for 18GAL. of liquids (water, beer,gatorade, tea, and burbon). BUT, i will say, we sure camped in style. learned the lil 4.5lb. anchor isn't enough for the ICW current. For the last 1 1/2 yrs. i have only used the anchor to keep the craft beached but i wanted to keep it out about 20ft from shore and relax on the inner tube tied to it and yeah, it was really useless. embarrassingly i am not sure if i even have the correct style anchor. currently i have a bruce and as of now am 100% of the time on the ICW and lagooon.
anyhow, there wasn't any sailing, it was just motoring to the island and relaxing but i think if we ever go out again with all that crap i will look for some kind of either cheapo kayak or inflateable to stow gear on and use as a towable.
The Filthy Oar relaxing in the cove, glad to have been unloaded...
yes, that's a cot, we use for a camp table or to chill on outside if we like....not counting the big a** queen air matress inside the also huge a** tent.....
we did't starve that's for sure....full size suitcase stove, cast iron, maple bacon, eggs, pepperjack, croissants.....
no loaded pics... i was kinda embarrassed at how much stuff we brought and had strapped down on the hakas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just cut your gear way back and downsize wherever possible...makes life a lot simpler.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I dunno Keith, that breckie looks pretty good.....

You are a camper in the same school as me, sir.
"Hey, can I get this in, too?" asked Bob, as he packed the cooler loaded with ice and beer...

I know that one of our group here, FusionEngineer, used a towable down in the keys to pull scuba gear along.

Looks like you had fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, if you use a motor, what difference does it make how much you bring so long as you don't sink your boat. Still, the less you bring the simpler your camping life. Remember that down the road.

I guess I'm of the philosophy that camping is NOT supposed to resemble being at home, although there is nothing wrong with eggs and bacon. I don't have eggs and bacon at home, so having it on a camping trip would be a real treat. When I camped in Brazil (about 1973, Camping Club of Brazil), the Brazilians used to bring everything but the kitchen sink. They commonly brought their maid, and they had these monstrous tents. They all camped as near to outhouses as possible, often putting their tent stakes inside their neighbor's tent stakes. So, we camped as far from the outhouses as possible and had nobody near us. Lovely.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon