All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pro10is wrote:
winfield100 wrote:
where do i get spare aka pins.
i suddenly find myself in need of a bunch of them
i was blissfully unaware until recently how easily the shear pins shear

You can get as many spare aka shear bolts as you need from your Hobie dealer or online. But having spare shear bolts won't stop your TI from instantly overturning and dumping you in the water, possibly in inclement weather, when one breaks. What you really need to do is to implement the aka safety lines mod which most of us do. Look it up in this forum and you'll find a great deal of discussion and detailed information on the many methods to do this.

a question,
my local hardware store has nylon “bolts” 1/4 20thread, 1.25 and 1.5 inch long, a whitish plastic.
could these be “equivalent” in break ability so the aka’s don’t fold in.

conversely, i also have trampolines for both sides.
these should keep aka’s from folding in unless the main hinge breaks in which case it would be very bad anyway

the tiller seems to need to be raised a bit, so i think i could add that easily.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

winfield100 wrote:
pro10is wrote:
winfield100 wrote:

You can get as many spare aka shear bolts as you need from your Hobie dealer or online. But having spare shear bolts won't stop your TI from instantly overturning and dumping you in the water, possibly in inclement weather, when one breaks. What you really need to do is to implement the aka safety lines mod which most of us do. Look it up in this forum and you'll find a great deal of discussion and detailed information on the many methods to do this.

a question,
my local hardware store has nylon “bolts” 1/4 20thread, 1.25 and 1.5 inch long, a whitish plastic.

these should keep aka’s from folding in unless the main hinge breaks in which case it would be very bad anyway

the tiller seems to need to be raised a bit, so i think i could add that easily.

I would not substitute any other plastic bolts for the Hobie shear bolts especially if your TI is still under warranty. Plastics come in many strengths. You don't know the shear strength of other bolts. It could be greater, in which case you might damage the aka mechanism on an impact, or it could be less in which case the akas might collapse unnecessarily. For the cost of the Hobie bolts, it's just not worth the risk.

The tramps should act as a good safety line, as long as you always use them. I don't use mine in high winds because they have a tendency to lift the boat. Ironically, it's in high winds when you need the safety lines the most.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pro10is wrote:
winfield100 wrote:
pro10is wrote:
winfield100 wrote:

a question,

I would not substitute any other plastic bolts for the Hobie shear bolts especially if your TI is still under warranty. Plastics come in many strengths. You don't know the shear strength of other bolts. It could be greater, in which case you might damage the aka mechanism on an impact, or it could be less in which case the akas might collapse unnecessarily. For the cost of the Hobie bolts, it's just not worth the risk.

The tramps should act as a good safety line, as long as you always use them. I don't use mine in high winds because they have a tendency to lift the boat. Ironically, it's in high winds when you need the safety lines the most.

ok,
got those black plastic bolts on order from Austin kayak
there is a cam cleat on the aka that the furling line goes through
i think the hole in it is called a “fair lead”
anyway, anyone know what those are? part numbers etc?
can i get from West Marine? there are 2 extra holes drilled in the aka like there is supposed to be a cam cleat there next to it.

also
the torqueedo 403. on an adventure island. ball joint or what kinda mount?
all i see advertised are mounts with 4 bolts perhaps for the anglers..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the site for the AI documentation. You should be able to find the part number for the cam cleats there. Austin Kayak usually has many TI/AI parts or you can order directly from your Hobie dealer. And yes, they do sell the equivalent parts for the cam cleats at West Marine. Hobie's use Harken MicroCam cleats if I remember correctly. That where I got mine for the 403 up/down lines. They carry them right in their stores. They're very easy to identify and find.

The easiest Torqeedo 403 mount for an AI would be the ball mount. Torqeedo now has a different mount as standard but you can still buy the ball mount. The installation would be very similar to the TI. I've included detailed instructions on how to mount a 403 in this thread.

I've reached out to Torqeedo to see if I could get a hold of the new type of mount to devise a method to attach it to the TI and AI and provide an installation write-up for that too. I'm waiting to hear back from them.