Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Trailer Security
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good evening all. So the question I have is for all of you that travel with your TI. What are some recommendations to keep it and the gear secure while on and off the water, it at a hotel? We pulled the trigger and bought a trailer that works great and makes getting out soooooo much easier. But I was wondering how you might secure the TI and the larger items such as the sail, amas etc over night.

Thanks in advance.
Darin

Post subject: Re: TI Trailer Security
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think the TI is a boat that professional thieves would target, it's too niche and they have better options. But if you're concerned, you can lock the trailer to your car with a high-quality trailer lock and then chain the TI to the trailer with a security chain and high-security lock such as this.

No lock and chain will stop a determined professional, but this will slow them down enough for them to probably look for an easier target. They want to be quiet, stealthy, and fast. High-security locks and chains take time and make noise to cut, so unless the target is really worth it, they'll move on to easier prey.

As far as other items such as the sail, electronics, etc., you should take them inside if staying overnight in a hotel or lock whatever items you can inside the car and out of sight. That's about the best you can do. Insurance is also available to cover any serious losses. My TI is covered for theft on my home owner's insurance, but in five years no one has ever tried to steal it or its contents.