Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is a lovely spot stringy, glad you enjoyed it, I certainly enjoyed your photos (thanks). I'll see it with 'new' eyes when I get down there on the AI and I should thank you for leaving me the fish :) Mind you I don't usually fish when touring, for me fishing can muddy up the touring goals and clutter up the minimalist gear approach.

Jeff
AI (2016)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Next Saturday, Mar 3, weather permitting, the 2018 Everglades Challenge will start at 7:00 AM sharp. Some of us are camping in Ft Desoto campground on Thursday-Friday, Mar 1-2. I'm in site 84 along with a couple of other people.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2018 EC start is less than 4 days away. There are 12 TIs and 6 AIs registered for the race.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great! I always enjoy your updates here on that event/ race!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Things are happening pretty fast (I just got back to S FL last night after driving for 5 hrs.) Saturday, at the start, there was a 2-hour weather hold. The official start of the 2018 EC was 9:00 AM. Here are a couple Watertribe Forum posts. CP2 is Chokoloskee.

Post about 7AM, Sunday morning. "Ccock and DeSea are the first in at CP2. They plan to be in Key Largo by sunset today [i.e., Sunday, about 34 hours after the Saturday 9:00 AM start.] TwoBeers is in sight if the CP."

and

"TwoBeers and Moresailesed in CP2 at 0745. Headed back out already. Flipped twice last night, lost all their beer and some water."

CCock and DeSea are sailing a Prindle 19.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2018 Everglades Challenge Update 1

AI update BlackBeard and CampfireCowboy are leading the AIs. They are a half mile apart near New Pass/Big Hickory Island (just south of Ft Myers Beach/Sanibel.) NoWhereMan is off St James City in Pine Island Sound and Chief is a bit further back near the south end of Caya Costa Park.

TI update CaptGnarly is flying. He is down by Kewaydin Island, halfway between Naples and Marco Island, about 35 mi ahead of all other Islands. LuckyMe/BoatBum, I believe a father/son team, are near CampfireCowboy just south of New Pass. By my count, there are 10 TIs on the water including a woman team, Ibis and Kite. Most are up near Sanibel and further north in Pine Island Sound.

You may remember, last year, CaptGnarly broke an aka, clean break. He repaired it on the beach in the middle of nowhere. You can read about it here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=960

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2018 Everglades Challenge Update 2

Randy Smyth was rescued at about 9 PM, Saturday evening, after his PLB/EPIRB beacon signal was picked up by the Coast Guard station in St Petersburg, FL. You can read about it here http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/03/04/hall-famer-randy-smyth-rescued/

He was piloting his new boat "Synergy" shown here:

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2018 Everglades Challenge Update 3

AI update BlackBeard and CampfireCowboy are close to each other near the southern tip of Naples and just north of Keewadin Island. Keewadin is a great place to spend the night. NoWhereMan is just north of Naples on the beach and Chief is hunkered down near the southern tip of Sanibel.

TI update CaptGnarly has put in at the southern tip of Keewadin Island, just north of Marco Island. LuckyMe/BoatBum look to be resting just north of Naples. Waterdog is moving 3 mi behind them, and 8 mi back Albatross is still moving at over 5 mph. Four miles back of Albatross, Dietired/Dietired2 have stopped for the night. D and D2 are a young couple who drove in from Arizona to do the EC. Yeah, WOW! At least 4 TIs have stopped on Picnic Island, just south of Pine Island. Ibis and Kite look to be resting at the north end of Cayo Costa.

All in all, looks like everyone is doing very well.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2018 Everglades Challenge Update 4

AI update Everyone seems to be sleeping in this morning. BlackBeard and CampfireCowboy are on Keewadin Island. NoWhereMan is just north of Naples on the beach and Chief is still near the southern tip of Sanibel.

TI update CaptGnarly is south of Marco Island and into the 10,000 Island area about 15 mi north of Chokoloskee (CP2) and moving at about 5.4 kn. LuckyMe/BoatBum look to be resting on Keewaydin Island. Dietired/Dietired2 are moving smartly off Keewaydin. Waterdog and Albatross are off Clam Pass north of Naples. Windtern is moving off Ft Myers Beach about 17 mi back of Waterdog/Albatross. Ibis and Kite look to be still resting at the north end of Cayo Costa. Pelican and Eagle (grandfather/grandson) are with them.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2018 Everglades Challenge Update 5

AI/TI update No wind today so Islands are probably moving at peddle speed.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2018 Everglades Challenge Update 6

General update Ccock and DeSea finished the 300 mile EC in 15 hours and 40 minutes. They were sailing a Prindle 19.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder How Randy’s wing sail did, ( I’m big into wings).
FE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Randy crashed and had to be rescued Saturday (1st day) about 9 pm. He was not injured. Randy seems to be able to turn out a new boat/sail every year, so I'm sure he is back at the drawing board.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sad to report that Thad Rice (BlueJay) was found dead on land near his Kruger Sea Wind. No distress signals were sent. That is all that is known at this time. Our thoughts go out to his family.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2018 Everglades Challenge Update 7

CaptGnarly is headed out Rabbit Key Pass from Chokoloskee (CK2) and will be on his way south toward Flamingo (CK3, 70 miles). LuckyMe/BoatBum are in Indian Key Pass headed to the Ranger Station near CK2. Dietired/Dietired2 are a mile behind.

The AIs are doing very well. CampfireCowboy and Blackbeard are ahead of LuckyMe/BoatBum in Indian Key Pass making them the 2nd and 3rd Islands.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 80  Next