Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

I've never seen 2 coyotes together, although I understand they have loose knit families. This summer I've seen about 6-7 coyotes during the day...always solo. The coyote in the picture above was just walking along the road about 50' away. She paid no attention to us in our car. I don't consider coyotes a danger, but you would not want to leave a young child near one.

Hope you've got that tandem in working order this year. Plan to do a trip the latter part of November.

Regards,

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is what the coyotes look like around Lake Havasu Az. Its super hot there in the summer and mild in the winter so they dont need the heavy coat. They are smart and athletic. We see them all the time walking around the area where we stay near the edge of town. Sometimes one, two or three.

I think they eat mostly rabbits but they also like small dogs. Lots of seniors here with small dogs and apparently the coyotes will also dine on small dogs but I think its always a pet left out in the back yard too long. I think this is overall mostly rare. I doubt that the coyotes come near a person or someone with a small dog. They are afraid of humans in this area.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Walt, I guess all is well as long as the coyotes leave the seniors alone!? That pic looks more like a racing dog than other photos that I've seen. Thanks for posting it.

Keith, I have my tap and die set packed (still have 8 hrs to go on that silly knuckle) and I was just downstairs working on my Big Agnes tent. I got some good camping in this summer (Gaspe) and am looking forward to this coming season in Fl. Looks like an el nino winter so bring the waterproof gear...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few more pictures from Mesa Verde

These first are some antelope we came across as we drove from Denver to MV. Some young bucks just beginning to grow their horns.

This a mature buck. Unlike deer and elk, antelope do not shed their horns yearly...they are permanent.

Around the campground in MV, deer are common and quite accustomed to people. This is a young deer.

More deer listening for something. This time of the year antelope and deer seem to congregate in separate groupings of males and females with young.

People go to MV to see the Cliff Dwellings. They are quite spectacular.

Until about the 12th century, the Mesa Verdeans lived on the mesas, but then they began to build the massive cliff dwellings.

The Fall colors were spectacular during our visit. This picture was taken the morning we left MV as we drove down off the mesa. Mesa Verde has an elevation of from about 7000' up to about 8500'.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kalleswe wrote:
Hi!
New to this forum and waiting for my new TI 2018 to arrive from the dealership. Been reading of all your great adventures and can´t wait to start my own ones.

My 12 year old son and myself are planning to do a "expedition" in June 2019. We are going to make a trip from the south (Falsterbo) to the most north part of the swedish westcoast (Svinesund). We have alot of sailing and ocean kayaking experience but this incredible TI is a new thing for us!

The expedition is named "Expedition Västkust" and my son (due to his computer interest) has been making a site, youtube-channel and a facebook-blogg so those who are intrested can follow our preparations and trip. For now its mostly in swedish but maybe you guys can find some intreset in it anyway ...

https://sites.google.com/view/expeditionvastkust/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmUhPFbaFkRxAKususPpgNQ
https://www.facebook.com/Expedition-V%C3%A4stkust-722487458091446/

// Kalle. Gothenburg, Sweden

Have a safe trip and keep us informed. Sounds wonderful!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Durango

Durango has been a railroad town since its inception in 1880. If you get out here, you should consider taking a ride on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. The rails are only 3’ apart. It runs 45 miles between Durango and Silverton. Durango has about 17,000 citizens. Silverton is little more than a pit stop except when the train arrives. Engine 481, one of 10 built in 1925, at the end of the run in Silverton.

Here are a couple pictures along the way.

The train runs along the Animas River bed, but some times it is forced high on the mountain side. The river is down from normal due to a drought.

It was a gray, rainy day.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First snow, Oct 15 2018, Taos, NM. A long time ago, I used to love coming out here to ski and enjoy the snow...that was a long time ago. Today, when I got up, I was greeted to this view...nothing gets me to thinking about FL more.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just had a look at the YouTube of kalleswe's son and the battery box. Well done! He did a great job describing it - who built it?

What an exciting adventure you're planning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone! Some amazing information, discussion and photos in here which really assist with prepping the Hobie for expedition / camping trips etc.

I created a new thread for camping with the Hobie Island so thought I would link to it here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=67389

Hopefully this reply triggers an email notification for some of you who have contributed to this, as it would be great to hear from you in the new thread! I thought it is a good idea to consolidate some up to date information there, including new photos as a lot have been lost when tinypic/photobucket disabled them.

On another note, I would love to hear your cooking systems on the TI. I was trying to decide between smaller ones like Jetboil, self contained units, in a perfect world I would've got the Jetboil Genesis Base Camp, twin 10,000 BTU burners in a very neat package.

Unfortunately it is not available in Australia.

I went with the Primus PrimeTech 1.3L system, which at least sits within the burner so if I am using it anchored on board hopefully it does not slide off and cause issues! It weighs 800g excl the gas I think.

I think I may need another second system like a MSR Pocket Rocket 2, so I have redundancy if one doesn't work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

there is a fair amount of information & such in these 80 pages.
to bring it back to the top of the "active topics" this is a ploy.
folks doing interesting stuff with their Hobie's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80