Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Keith, let me add my appreciation for your excellent reporting on this event. I look forward to reading your updates every year. Thanks for contributing your time and talent to keep us up to date on this great race, for pointing out some excellent human interest stories and side notes, and for sharing your background commentary. This is almost better than watching it first hand! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith,

We would like to add our thanks for your description of the EC and the progress of the participants. Your description of the course and the location of each boat is interesting, it helps us as we review the paths we chose and the timing and location of our stops. As Chief states, the challenge is a series of challenges. First the preparation and setting up on the beach, inspection, etc. to launch. Then the course presents numerous decisions to be made as to which course is best with regards to the wind, tides, boat traffic, daylight or night, etc. Rarely during the challenge is there a time that we're not looking down course at our options and trying to decide our best path.

A couple of responses to a couple of your notes, first is that our spot was not working to track our continuous movement-yea, that was bad. A few other tribers had the same, we forwarded our spot registration id to Watertribe, but for whatever reason it didn't connect correctly even after several attempts. It all worked fine the last two years, but not this one.
Second is our choice to enter Whitewater Bay to Joe River to Flamingo and portage instead of going the outside around the Capes. That decision was due to a SE wind in the morning that was due to clock South to SW through the day, doing the outside into a South wind in our face has been difficult in the past. The portage is not the most fun part of the challenge, but it is manageable and a whole lot easier than sailing into a headwind all day.

This year's Challenge was exceptional, mostly favorable winds enabled about 72 of the 90 registered boats to finish, and I think all 11 of the TI's that launched finished. Thank you again for your write-ups of the progress of the challengers and the course descriptions along the way.

BoatBum and LuckyMe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Roadrunner and BoatBum for your comments. I've been out on my own camping trip the last few days and will get back to following Hiawashe and Bacon tomorrow. A quick check shows Hiawashe is shut down just north of Mel Fisher's Treasures in Sebastian, FL. Bacon is making great progress and seems to be still moving on the Indian River about 23 miles south of New Smyrna Beach.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 13

10:19 AM

Hiawashe is about 12 miles south of Melbourne, FL.

Bacon is about 6 miles south of Daytona Beach.

There is about 90 miles between them.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 14

10:47 PM

Hiawashe has pulled her kayak up on land at Lee Wenner Park 7.5 miles to the southwest of Cape Canaveral-our rocket launching station. She will have a pretty good seat if any rockets are launched. This lady is a tough paddler!

Bacon on an unnamed island on the Matanzas River about 20 miles SSE of St Augustine. Bacon is doing great.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 15

2:10 PM

Hiawashe is just past Titusville on the Indian River. Making nice progress.

Bacon is on the Tolumato River 4 miles north of St Augustine. He is about 30 mi south of the confluence with the St John's River. I believe he will take the St Johns west to the St Mary's River.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 16

10:30 PM

Hiawashe is camped near Oak Hill, 12 mi south of New Smyrna Beach.

Bacon has quit for the night .75 mile south of Beswick Island and 8 mi south of the confluence with the St John's River.

These people are tough!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Daft--there are only the reports on the WaterTribe forums http://watertribe.org/forums/ At this point only a couple "reports." There is no report by a Hobie TI/AI owner.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 17

9:17 AM

Hiawashe is 7 mi south of New Smyrna Beach. Moving nicely.

Bacon is on the Intracoastal Waterway a mile south of the St John's River. He is about 105 miles north of Hiawashe. Previously, Bacon sailed a TI, but this year he is using a Kruger with Balogh sail. Whatever you are using, this is a tough, lonely adventure.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 18

11:08 PM

Both Hiawashe and Bacon quit early today. Hiawashe pretty much took the day off and is 7 mi south of New Smyrna Beach.

Bacon is stopped in a marina about 5 miles south of Ft Clinch State Park and St Marys River. He will take St Marys River to head west across Florida.

Bacon and Hiawashe are separated by about 125 miles.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Once my korean tour is done and i get stationed in Georgia, Keith will post about my adventures in EC one day. Lol. Thank you for the updates, keep them coming Keith and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

touayang84--looking forward to following you...

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have rebuilt the description of my AI 2 capsize, fully loaded with camping gear, with my pictures restored. You can read about it here: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=54465&start=15 Scroll down to "The Capsize and Recovery."

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 19

10:08 AM

Chief has provided an update to Hiawashe and Bacon's Ultimate Florida as follows:

"Both Bacon and Hiawashe are sort of hunkered down due to weather.

Hiawashe might try to gain a few miles today, but that will depend on weather in her area. I told her shore contact that a weather hold is OK and not to worry about deadlines.

Bacon had a damaged ama and some other broken gear that needs fixing. He also has weather to deal with. I told his shore contact the same thing. Deadlines are not an issue and hunkering down is advisable.

Regarding deadlines, the Results page will automatically show a DNF if there is no check-in by the deadline. That is OK and will correct itself when an OK Message is sent from the CP."

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe Ultimate Florida 2018 Update 20

12:34 PM

Hiawashe is on the move. She is on Indian River North near the New Smyrna Beach Airport.

Bacon is still at the marina a few miles south of St Marys River.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 80  Next