Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Right now I have Fatshark Attitude goggles. As I finish building out my hex I am thinking of moving over to Fatshark Dominator V3's for better resolution. If you are thinking of going goggles, you may want something like the Dominator. It has a port where you can pop in different frequency receivers. Whereas most fpv video tx / rvrs operate at 5.8Ghz and the drone control runs at 2.4ghz, I believe dji does it just the opposite so you would want to have a 2.4ghz video receiver.
Check to make sure though, things could have changed or I could have dreamed that up.

I fly through and around the woods a lot here in Georgia, so I'm looking to go with the new 3.3 ghz video tx / rvr from Iron Horse. I'm hoping to get better range through obstacles with it. Only problem is Fatshark doesn't have a 3.3 ghz plug in receiver for the Dominator, so I'll probably have to rig up something ugly.

Drone building can get expensive and complicated! I should have just bought a Mavic!

Are you having any problems with restricted areas? I heard dji just issued a firmware upgrade that went crazy on geofencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for all the info Totch. I'm really a novice when it comes to goggles.

My backyard is 4.5 mi from the local airport, and there is a heliport at a local hospital about 3 mi away. I get a warning each time I fly in my yard and must confirm that I am responsible for flying here, but, other than that, no problem.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Might want to be careful upgrading the firmware. I just read an article that once the upgrade is applied, it will not fly at all in a restricted area.

Technically, if you are within 5 miles of an airport you can fly if you get permission from the tower, but dji has gotten more strict.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totch--here is an article which describes my experience, i.e., except for certain red zones, the operator decides whether it is safe to fly in an area.
https://qz.com/724517/dji-is-letting-pe ... ted-areas/

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
I'm not sure whether this dangoltalkinbout hatch modification has been covered in this thread.

Maybe if somebody could get that photo in front of one of the decision makers at Hobie, they'd finally get the message.... -)

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Might get offered as an accessory...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
Tom Ray wrote:
I'm not sure whether this dangoltalkinbout hatch modification has been covered in this thread.

Maybe if somebody could get that photo in front of one of the decision makers at Hobie, they'd finally get the message.... -)

I believe that picture was taken at one of the WaterTribe Everglades Challenges. Personally, I think that fix is ridiculous. There are better ways to fix the front hatch leakage problem without sealing it semi-permanently. Having said that, I agree that Hobie should do more to remedy the problem.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep-Out Lines Revisited

Anyone who does serious day trips or multi-day camping trips needs keep-out lines. Any keep-out line which (1) attaches to the hull and (2) angles back to attach to the ama, must be able to stretch to absorb the shock of a collision of the ama with an object. The aka brace pin will break, but the keep-out line will prevent the aka/ama folding back. As Fusioneng has said, even multiple small shocks to the ama will add up to sufficient wear on the aka brace pin to ultimately result in the pin breaking, ama/aka collapsing, and, perhaps, “insta-capsize.” The keep-out lines are designed to prevent the collapse.

My keep out lines are simple: a hard line connected to a short section of bungee cord. The bungee cord provides stretch allowing the aka/ama to fold back and permitting the aka brace pin to break as designed.

This picture shows the shock cord stretched.

You can apply enough force on dry land, to fold the aka/ama back considerably.

When not in use, the keep-out lines are simply stored on the ama.

Those original flat bungee cords did not stand up to Florida sun and elements. I have replaced them with 19” flat, EPDM rubber bungees. Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCFCO0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These keep-out lines have been tested at 8 mph on the water, and they prevent the aka/ama from folding back.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How did you attach the eye straps to the amas?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mistermoon,

I just drilled a small pilot hole into the ama and then used a SS screw. I think they will hold anything barring a major collision, like with a piling at speed. They do not leak into the ama.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I'll take it under advisement. I'm not super comfortable drilling holes in the amas, so I think instead I'll tie the ends of the hold backs to the akas.

Why do you assert that the hold backs must be able to stretch to absorb the shock of a collision of the ama with an object? I need convincing that's truly necessary. I plan to test it with 3/16" nylon (stretchty) and 5 mm dacron (doesn't stretch much) to see what works.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no problem drilling holes in plastic amas. Just fill them with goop or a fat screw. It is plastic and will flow to close tightly around a tight-fitting screw.

Some kind of stretch is necessary. If you use a non-stretch cord, you have a rigid system and the pin will not break transferring the forces to the next point of weakness. At the other end, you have my bungee system, which gives, allows the pin to break, but doesn't allow ama collapse with insta-capsize. In between is everything else.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Filling space

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Filling space

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New: Photobucket has apparently changed it's policy again and is allowing hosting of pictures. Accordingly all my pictures are now available on this thread. Hopefully, Photobucket will continue this policy.

Because PhotoBucket is no longer allowing my pictures to be posted here unless I pay $400/year, many of my pictures
are not available. My apologies! Starting on page 55 and forward, my pictures are hosted by Cloudinary, https://cloudinary.com and are visible.

Cloudinary is terrific, and I strongly recommend them for hosting your pictures.

Keith

===============================================================================================================================================================================================

A Drone Test Gone Bad

I started this drone adventure as a test. I planned to launch my Mavic Pro from a nearby arroyo, fly it at a height of about 185’ over a ridge to my house. Distance was about 900’. The plan was to land it behind the ridge at my house. The question: could I control the drone once it was behind the ridge? Of course, it didn’t dawn on me, if I could not control the drone behind the ridge, what would happen to the drone?

My first try at landing was in tight area between 3 walls. When the Mavic Pro descended to a height of 70’ above the launch, but behind the ridge, I lost control, but, regained control in a few seconds. That should have been the end of the test. I could not control the drone when it was out of sight behind the ridge. But, I persisted. At a height of 150’, I flew it to the back of my house which was more open and again tried to land it. The Mavic descended to about 79’, where I lost control again. This time, I did not miraculously regain control. The Mavic Pro was lost. I was, of course, panicked. I truly had no idea where the Mavic was since the controller had lost touch with the aircraft.

I rushed back to my house and walked the ridge nearest my last contact…no Mavic. I then went to the last place I had contact with it at the back of my house. Amazingly, at this point, I was in touch with the drone via the controller. The drone was still on. The FPV (the view via the drone camera) was displayed on my cell. It showed the drone was upside down, on the ground with some blades of long grass protruding into the blue sky above. It was not very comforting to know my drone was still functioning, because I still had no idea where it was. The FPV view (this is simulated since taking a picture of the FPV was the last thing I had on my mind.)

I don’t know why, but, starting where I lost control near my garage, I began to walk on a line back toward the launch. Because the drone was still turned on, its lights were on. Somehow, I spotted the drone, the drone lights really, on the ground amongst some tall vegetation at the edge of my graveled drive way.

Another view

Looking at the flight log, it is clear what happened. Flight log? Yes, there is a flight log of that whole flight. How DJI, the designer and manufacturer of the Mavic Pro, does that when you have lost controller contact with the drone, is beyond my pay grade. When I lost control of the drone the second time, the drone decided it had to take things into its own hands and head back to the launch (home). It ascended to 97’ (standard) and headed directly to the launch site. At this altitude, it should have cleared everything and returned to home. For whatever reason, maybe the controller regained control, it lowered its altitude to 75', collided with tree branches, and tumbled to the ground upside down but still on. Of course, the propellers had turned off.

A most important lesson learned: always have a direct line of sight to your drone. Your drone may be too far away to see, but there must be a direct line without solid obstacles between the Mavic Pro and its controller. Of course, it says that in the owner’s manual, but I think I was pushing the envelope and went a bit too far.

Kudos to DJI for building a quadcopter, the Mavic Pro, strong enough to stand the abuse which I have given it. I hope my learning period is over!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 80  Next